No restrictions on use, except: not available through interlibrary loan.
The Trenton-Clarkston Mill and Elevator Company was organized at Trenton to take advantage of the double agricultural windfall in the production of dry-land wheat on the Clarkston Bench and irrigated wheat grown in fields newly watered by the West Cache Irrigation Company (q.v.) which was completed to Trenton in 1905. To mill the wheat into flour and to provide for storage and shipping facilities, the Trenton-Clarkston Mill and Elevator Company was incorporated on August 7, 1906, with a capitalization of $25,000 divided into 1,000 shares at a par value of $25 per share. It was largely financed by local money, as the following list of the incorporators, their residence, and their initial share holdings show:
|B.Y. Benson||Trenton, Utah||40 shares|
|B.F. Bingahm||Trenton, Utah||40 shares|
|H.T. Peterson||Smithfield, Utah||40 shares|
|Henry Spackman||Lewiston, Utah||40 shares|
|John Buttars||Clarkston, Utah||20 shares|
|C.W. Buttars||Clarkston, Utah||8 shares|
|William Bingahm||Logan, Utah||20 shares|
|Julius Stender||Logan, Utah||40 shares|
|D.E. Haws||Trenton, Utah||20 shares|
|C.G. Wood||Trenton, Utah||10 shares|
|T.H. Cutler||Trenton, Utah||20 shares|
|A.J. Hill||Trenton, Utah||20 shares|
|Parley Merrill||Trenton, Utah||20 shares|
|William Homer||Trenton, Utah||4 shares|
|C.A. Brown||Trenton, Utah||10 shares|
The company built a mill and elevators on the railroad near the Ransom siding in 1906. To handle the extra traffic, the railroad company installed a second siding and built a depot. Obligingly, the railroad named the new station Trenton and made it headquarters for two section crews. To supply electricity for the mill, the High Creek Electric Company of Franklin built a line into Trenton in 1906--the first town on the West Side to be electrified. The High Creek Electric Company used the waters of Cub River to generate power. Since irrigation companies held prior rights to the water, electric service to the towns supplied by the company was largely discontinued during the summer months when most of the water was diverted from the river to irrigation canals.
The Trenton-Clarkston Mill was an immediate success. German-born miller Julius F.H. Stender produced a superior product based on the locally produced "Turkey Red" wheat. Two additional elevators were soon built on the west siding at Trenton, the Farmer's Grain and Milling Company with a capacity of 50,000 bushels and the Kay Elevator Company with a capacity of about 65,000 bushels. Withe the production form the Clarkston dry-farms and from the newly irrigated lands around Trenton, in 1917 Trenton was the leading wheat shipping point on the entire Union Pacific system.
The Trenton-Clarkston Mill flourished until 1917. The mill lost its large market during World War I when government wheat-saving regulations forced the increase in per-bushel flour production. Forced to decrease quality, the "Turkey Red" brand was no longer welcome to wholesalers. Whole car-loads of flour were returned to Trenton. The Mill temporarily closed in 1918 or 1919 and then re-opened, but hardly to halcyon days. It closed in the early 1920s ad was re-opened largely as an elevator and feed company as the Trenton Grain and Milling Company.
This collection is made up of ten books and one folder. The first box contains account balances, a ledger and orders received. Box 2 contains a ledger a cash book and a purchase journal. Box 3 contains sales registers, a ledger car book. and correspondence.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Trenton-Clarkston Mill and Elevator Company Records must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.
Initial Citation: Trenton-Clarkston Mill and Elevator Company Records USU_COLL MSS 198, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. Utah State University Merrill-Cazier Library. Logan, Utah.
Following Citations:USU_COLL MSS 198, USUSCA.
(grain storage, etc.)
|1||2||General Ledger||1919 July 25 to 1920 June 30|
|1||3||Register: Orders Received||1919(?) September 1 to 1920 May 5|
|2||2||Cash Book||1920 to 1921 September|
|2||3||Purchase Journal||1920 July 1 to 1921 October|
(daily sales records)
|3||2||Sales Register||1921 April 6 to 1921 October 24|
|3||3||General Ledger||1930 July 1 to 1931 June 30|
|1||4||Miller-Muir Grain Company
Car book; freight cars shipped from Trenton elevators
|1920 September (?) to 1921|
|1||1||Miscellaneous Correspondence and Checks||1929 June, 1930 November-December, 1931 February|