Alanson Hinman papers, 1872-1900 PDF
- Hinman, Alanson, 1822-1908
- Alanson Hinman papers
- 1872-1900 (inclusive)18721900
- 0.1 linear feet, (3 folders)
- Collection Number
- A 051
- The Alanson Hinman papers comprise thirty-two letters and an account book. The correspondence dates from 1872 to 1900 and concerns Indian training schools, proposed changes in the charter of Pacific University, and personal issues. The account book contains miscellaneous accounts receivable as well as a record of apples shipped.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Alanson Hinman came to the Oregon Country in 1844 and taught school at the Whitman Mission. He later moved to the Willamette Valley, was collector of customs at Astoria, and finally settled in Forest Grove. He was a trustee of Pacific University.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection consists of papers, including an account book, 1859-1861, and 32 letters, 1872-1900. The correspondence includes an exchange of 6 letters with U.S. Senator Joseph Dolph in 1884 concerning the future of the Indian training school at Forest Grove. From 1890-1894 there are letters to and from Myron Eells, John A. Hamilton, C.E. Clapp, H.A. Shorey, Napoleon Davis, and Thomas Condon about proposed changes in the charter of Pacific University, and personnel problems at the school. An account book, 1859-1861, contains miscellaneous accounts receivable, and records of apples shipped on various vessels.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Alanson Hinman papers, A 051, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
CorrespondenceReturn to Top
Account bookReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College trustees--Oregon--Forest Grove
- Indians of North America--Oregon
- Teachers--Washington (State)
- Personal Names :
- Clapp, C. E.--Correspondence
- Condon, Thomas, 1822-1907--Correspondence
- Davis, Napoleon--Correspondence
- Dolph, Joseph N. (Joseph Norton), 1835-1897--Correspondence
- Eells, Myron, 1843-1907--Correspondence
- Hamilton, John A.--Correspondence
- Hinman, Alanson, 1822-1908--Archives
- Shorey, H. A.--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Indian Industrial School (Forest Grove, Or.)
- Pacific University
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books