Collection is open for research.
Poling Hall was the name given to a temporary building constructed to house World War I trainees in the Student Army Training Program and used after the war as a dormitory. Five clubs were established at the dorm and were collectively called the Poling Hall Clubs. The clubs were governed by a central council, which oversaw most of the affairs of the dorm. When a new men's dormitory was built in 1928, a wing of it was named Poling Hall and the residents established a Poling Hall Club in the new dorm. In 1957-1958, a newly constructed dormitory was named Poling Hall, and again the club was re-established in the new location.
The Poling Hall Club Records document the activities and governance of this dormitory club at Oregon State University and includes minutes, financial records, the constitution and amendment, and a resident assistant report. Many of the records are available in original paper form as well as microfilm. The collection includes 2 microfilm reels; reel 1 is 16 mm microfilm and reel 2 is 35 mm microfilm.
Series 1 consists of meeting minutes of the Poling Hall Club. Meeting minutes for 1926-1928 and December 1959-May 1960 are available in original paper form and on microfilm (reel 1). Minutes for 1929-1942 and 1959-1971 are only available on microfilm (reel 2). The minutes document the election of officers, activities and programs of the Club, and participation of club members in intramural sports. The minutes for 1959-1971 are not in chronological order on the microfilm. The club is referred to as Yar Yar Logar during this time period, a name used for the residents of the third floor east wing of Weatherford Hall. The minutes on reel 2 also include Weatherford Hall Council minutes for 1971 and the Voice of Weatherford weekly newsletter from 1971.
Series 2 consists of meeting minutes of the Poling Hall Central Council for May 1926 through March 1928. These minutes address social activities as well as operational issues within Poling Hall such as building repairs and the "fire situation". Series 3 consists solely of a one-page compilation of hours, expenses, and fees for the months of May, September-November, and December-January for unidentified years. Series 2 and 3 are available in original paper form and on microfilm (reel 1).
Series 4 consists of the club's constitution dated May 27, 1939 and a reorganization amendment dated November 24, 1941. Series 5 is a resident assistant report for 1967-1968. Series 4 and Series 5 are only available on microfilm (reel 2). The report was written by Gary E. Lucke, Resident Assistant for Weatherford Hall 3rd floor east wing. It summarizes living group meetings and officers as well as social and athletic activities and events during the year.
Poling Hall Club Records (RG 036), Oregon State University Special Collections and Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.