Thomas R. Cornelius letter, February 20, 1856 PDF
- Cornelius, Thomas R.
- Thomas R. Cornelius letter
- February 20, 1856 18561856
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- CA 1856 Feb 20
- Thomas R. Cornelius (1827-1899) was a pioneer and member of the Oregon Mounted Volunteers during the Cayuse and Yakima Indian Wars. The collection consists of a single letter to his wife written during his military service.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Thomas R. Cornelius (1827-1899) was born in Missouri, and came to Oregon with his parents in 1845. He enlisted in the Oregon Mounted Volunteers for the Cayuse Indian War and the Yakima Indian War. Later he ran a general store in the town of Cornelius and farmed.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The letter, written from Ft. Henrietta, refers to supply problems and sale of horses to the government.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Thomas R. Cornelius letter, CA 1856 Feb 20, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Yakama Indians--Wars, 1855-1859
- Personal Names :
- Cornelius, Thomas R.--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon. Militia. Regiment of Oregon Mounted Volunteers, 1st.
- Form or Genre Terms :