Kenneth Forbes Ross Papers, 1922-1972 PDF
- Ross, Kenneth Forbes, 1863-1933
- Kenneth Forbes Ross Papers
- 1922-1972 (inclusive)19221972
- 3 items and 1 reel microfilm
- Collection Number
- Mss 156
- Kenneth Ross was a manager of the Anaconda Company's Lumber Department in Bonner, Montana. The collection contains a speech, a reminiscence of his life and career, and other documents relating to lumbering and milling in western Montana.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
- Funding for creating this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Kenneth Ross was born in 1863 and came to Montana in 1883; his parents were from Nova Scotia. Ross was steel erection superintendent on the Northern Pacific Railroad's Marent Trestle and raised cattle on the Mild River until the winter of 1886-1887. He was manager of Marcus Daly's timber operations after 1890; he became general manager of the Anaconda Company's Lumber Department, from which he retired in 1926. He died in 1933.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of three items: Ross's 1922 speech to lumbermen; the reminiscence he started in 1930 after his retirement; and John Toole's 1972 memories of "Stories Gramps Told Me." The 1930 reminiscence is the most extensive document and relates stories of his childhood, early adulthood, and experiences in and around Missoula, Montana. The 1922 speech contains his memories of the Anaconda Company, the Big Blackfoot Milling Company, and the lumberman's library. John Toole's 1972 document has a list of memories about the Blackfoot Milling, the Anaconda Company's lumbering operations, and the Seeley Lake area.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], Kenneth Forbes Ross Papers, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Boys--Nova Scotia--Biography
- Canadian Americans--Montana--Missoula
- Lumber trade--Montana
- Lumbermen--Books and reading--Montana
- Personal Names :
- Ross, Kenneth Forbes, 1863-1933--Biography
- Corporate Names :
- Anaconda Company
- Big Blackfoot Milling Company
- Geographical Names :
- Missoula (Mont.)--History
- Seeley Lake (Mont.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American--Montana
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Toole, John W.