Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Seattle, Washington, Records, 1885-2012 PDF
- Gethsemane Lutheran Church (Seattle, Wash.)
- Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Seattle, Washington, Records
- 1885-2012 (inclusive)18852012
- 2 files
- Collection Number
- OPVELCA7a5_376 (collection)
- Collection contains the records of Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Seattle, Washington.
- Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Seattle’s oldest Lutheran Church, Gethsemane, has steadfastly held to its commitment of service to the city which spawned it. The small Swedish speaking congregation of 26 communicant members soon outgrew the church which missionary Peter Carlson had built “in hope” on 3rd Avenue between Pike and Pine, and by 1901 had built a new church at the present location. Early on, under the leadership of Pastors Larson and Swanson, they were vigorous in helping to establish new Lutheran congregations and service organizations. By 1954 the old church had fulfilled its mission, and new facilities were built.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
(folder #1) This folder contains two booklets from their 115th anniversary, two booklets from the dedication of the baptismal font, a bulletin from the dedication, a booklet from the reformation festival worship, a booklet from their 75th anniversary, a history of the church booklet, a congregational historical record, a booklet from their 60th anniversary, a bulletin from 1910 in Swedish, a program from their 75th anniversary, a 90th anniversary booklet, a 70th anniversary booklet, an informational pamphlet from the church, two programs from their 90th anniversary, a bulletin from their 90th anniversary, a pamphlet from their 90th anniversary, a 90th anniversary homecoming banquet bulletin, a 100th anniversary year booklet, a 100th anniversary banquet program, copies of newspaper articles about the church, a bulletin from 1981, various bulletins and pamphlets, two bulletins from their 100th anniversary.
(folder #2) This folder contains an Annual Report for 1933, Annual Report for 1934, 110th anniversary banquet bulletin, a magazine article about the church, a document about their apartment ministry, a brief history of the church, a booklet encouraging giving towards the new church building, a 1960 directory, an annual report from 1958, a newsletter from 1962, a booklet encouraging giving to the church, two bulletins from 1961, an overview of the church, a preliminary survey of Evangelism needs, a congregational directory.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder
From the Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Seattle, Washington, Records, OPVELCA7a5_376, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Church anniversaries
- Lutherans--Washington (State)--History
- Personal Names :
- Engquist, Joanne E.
- Eriks, Paul W., 1981-?
- Hedsen, Erik, 1889-1891
- Jensen, Everett, 1956-1964
- Swanson, C. R., 1915-1939
- Carlson, Peter, 1885-1889
- Larson, Martin, 1892-1915
- Palmer, Theodore, 1947-1955
- Sandgren, Carl, 1940-1946
- Weaver, J. Benner, 1964-1981
- Corporate Names :
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--Northwest Washington Synod
- Geographical Names :
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Occupations :