Seattle Center Grounds photograph collection, April 1963 PDF
- Seattle Center Grounds photograph collection
- April 1963 (inclusive)1963-041963-04
- 28 photographic prints (1 box)
7 negatives (1 box)
- Collection Number
- Aerial and ground views of Seattle Center six months after the end of the 1962 World's Fair.
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Entire collection can be viewed on the Libraries’ Digital Collections website. Permission of Visual Materials Curator required to view originals. Contact Special Collections for more information.
Historical BackgroundReturn to Top
The Seattle World's Fair, also known as the Century 21 Exposition, was open from April 21, 1962, to October 21, 1962. Close to ten million people visited the World's Fair in that six-month period. The fairground buildings were built in a relatively short period of time and more than half were torn down after the fair, including the information booth and totem pole. The buildings that remained were transformed into popular tourist attractions as part of Seattle Center, which officially opened on June 1, 1963. The United States Science Pavilion became the Pacific Science Center. The Washington State Coliseum became the Seattle Center Coliseum sporting venue (later renamed Key Arena). Other attractions, including two repertory theaters and a museum, have been added over the years. The Space Needle remains as a centerpiece of Seattle Center and a defining symbol of the Seattle skyline.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains aerial and site views of the Seattle Center grounds six months after the end of the World's Fair and two months prior to the official opening of Seattle Center on June 1, 1963. The sites pictured include the Flag Pavilion area and the south grounds near the Space Needle. All of the photographs were made in April, 1963.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions may exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries for details.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Aerial Views of Seattle Center GroundsReturn to Top
Aerial view of grounds with Memorial Stadium, Space Needle, and Coliseum
Wilson, James F, Northwest Air Photos, Port Orchard, Washington (photographer)
|April 13, 1963|
Buildings at South Grounds Return to Top
Buildings at Flag Pavilion AreaReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Exhibition buildings--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Space Needle (Seattle, Wash.)--Photographs
- Visual Materials Collections (University of Washington)
- Corporate Names :
- Century 21 Exposition (1962 : Seattle, Wash.)--Photographs
- Geographical Names :
- Seattle (Wash.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Photographs
- Seattle Center (Seattle, Wash.)--Photographs
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Aerial photographs