UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Laurel Sercombe recordings: Necdet Yasar Ensemble (concert), 1993-05-01 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Laurel Sercombe recordings: Necdet Yasar Ensemble (concert)
- 3 items : OT - 1 DAT (digital, stereo); CD - 2 CDs (digital, stereo); 2 AIFF files (44.1 kHz, 16-bit); Duration: 1:37:15
- Collection Number
- Recording of the Yasar Necdet Ensemble at the University of Washington, Kane Hall 130, May 1, 1993; concert co-sponsored by the UW School of Music, the Turkish Ministry of Culture & the Turkish American Cultural Assoc. of Seattle.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Necdet Yaşar (1930 - 2017) was a tanbur lute player and teacher, from Nizip, a small town near Gaziantep, Turkey. He graduated from the School of Economy, Istanbul University in 1953. As a student he first played bağlama before switching to tanbur. He played tanbur as a soloist or in a group in many foreign countries: United States, Canada, England, France, Holland, Belgium, Finland, South Korea and Israel. From 1972 to 1973 and 1980 to 81, Yaşar was a resident artist of Ethnomusicology at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, where he gave lectures on the makam system of Ottoman Classical Music. Yaşar also performed as a tanbur artist and an ambassador of Turkish Classical Music with small or large ensembles including his own "The Necdet Yaşar Ensemble" in Europe, East Asia and North America. Yaşar is noted for his command of the Turkish makam melodic modes, his influential tanbur techniques, and the construction of his taksim improvisations.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Title of concert: Traditional Turkish and Sufi Music: Necdet Yasar Ensemble.
Recorded with Panasonic SV-250 DAT recorder, Symetrix SX 202 preamp, Neumann KM-83 omni. mics (hung downstage, approx. 4 feet above performers); recorded by Laurel Sercombe for the UW Ethnomusicology Archives.
See collection 93-22 for video recording of concert.
Performers: Necdet Yasar/tanbur; Necati Celik/ud; Goksel Baktagir/kanun; Hasan Esen/kemence; Nurettin Celik/vocals, percussion; Omer Erdogdularey.
Total duration: 1:37:15 (CD durations: 1:11:07; 26:55)
See logsheets for contents information.
Compact disc copies made from DAT original 2/02; digital files produced from CDs 7/2014 - 93-18.1.aif (1:11:07), 98-18.2.aif (24:55) (44.1 kHz, 16-bit)
Documentation: Concert program
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1993018-0001: Concert: Necdet Yasar Ensemble 5/1/93
1 audiotape : DAT
Title of concert: Traditional Turkish and Sufi Music: Necdet Yasar Ensemble. Performers: Necdet Yasar/tanbur; Necati Celik/ud; Goksel Baktagir/kanun; Hasan Esen/kemence; Nurettin Celik/vocals, percussion; Omer Erdogdular/ney. See logsheets for contents information. Compact disc copies made 2/02.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Qānūn (Musical instrument)
- Turks--Middle East--Middle East
- Geographical Names :
- Middle East--Middle East--General Middle East
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Celik, Necati (instrumentalist)
- Celik, Nurettin (vocalist)
- Erdogdularey, Omer (instrumentalist)
- Esen, Hasan (instrumentalist)
- Göksel, Baktagir, 1966- (instrumentalist)
- Yaşar, Necdet (instrumentalist)
- Corporate Names :
- Necdet Yaşar Ensemble (performer)