Village Improvement Society Minutes, 1904-1911 PDF
- Village Improvement Society (Corvallis, Or.)
- Village Improvement Society Minutes
- 1904-1911 (inclusive)19041911
- 0.01 cubic foot, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Village
- The Village Improvement Society Minutes document the activities of this Corvallis, Oregon, civic organization which promoted the planting of trees, development of parks, and general beautification of the city.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Village Improvement Society was active by the 1890s; its members included prominent local business leaders and Oregon Agricultural College faculty and their spouses. Margaret Snell, home economics professor, and George Coote, horiculturist, helped organize the society.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Village Improvement Society Minutes document the membership, activities, and finances of this civic organization. Topics addressed in the minutes include improvements on the grounds of the depot; planting trees around the school; a petition for clearing rubbish from streets and alleys; an investigation of standing water in parks; and the sanitary problems posed by barns and manure piles.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Village Improvement Society Minutes, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Urban beautification--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College--Faculty.
- Geographical Names :
- Corvallis (Or.)