The Ted Hughes Correspondence to Donya Feuer, April 25, 1990-June 14, 1990 PDF
- Hughes, Ted, 1930-1998
- The Ted Hughes Correspondence to Donya Feuer
- April 25, 1990-June 14, 1990 (inclusive)1990042519900614
- .5 cubic feet, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- This collection includes a series letters from Ted Hughes to Donya Feuer, in which Hughes explores and lays out the intellectual arguments ideas that formed the basis for his book, Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being (1992).
- Lewis & Clark College, Special Collections and Archives
Lewis & Clark College Special Collections and Archives
Aubrey R. Watzek Library
0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd.
- Access Restrictions
This collection has no restrictions and is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Ted Hughes was a critically acclaimed poet and scholar, born on August 17th, 1930. In his book Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being (1992), Hughes identified two ancient religious myths that he argued served as a foundation for many of Shakespeare's plays. Prior to writing the book, Hughes laid out his theories and arguments in a series of letters to Donya Feuer. Hughes made copies of the entire body of this correspondence, which he presented to his close friend, Moelwyn Merchant. These copies are included in this collection. Ted Hughes died on October 28th, 1998.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Photocopies of typed letters.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Permission to publish, exhibit, broadcast, or quote from materials in the Watzek Library Archives & Special Collections requires written permission of the Head of Archives & Special Collections.
The Ted Hughes Correspondence Collection (OLPb093HUG), Lewis & Clark College Aubrey Watzek Library Archives & Special Collections, Portland, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
|1.1||Letters from Ted Hughes to Donya Feuer
|April 23, 1990-May 6, 1990|
|1.2||Letters from Ted Hughes to Donya Feuer
|May 7, 1990-May 17, 1990|
|1.3||Letters from Ted Hughes to Donya Feuer
|May 18, 1990-June 2, 1990|
|1.4||Letters from Ted Hughes to Donya Feuer
|June 3, 1990-June 14, 1990|
|1.5||Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being
1 copy inscribed by Ted Hughes to Moelwyn, Lyn, and Paul Merchant.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Goddess religion in literature
- Myth in literature
- Ontology in literature
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 --Criticism and interpretation
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 --Knowledge --Mythology
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 --Tragedies
- Personal Names :
- Feuer, Donya
- Hughes, Ted, 1930-1998--Archives
- Titles within the Collection :
- Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being