Alpha Delta Sigma. W.F.G. Thacher Chapter records, 1942-1957 PDF
- Alpha Delta Sigma. W.F.G. Thacher Chapter (University of Oregon)
- Alpha Delta Sigma. W.F.G. Thacher Chapter records
- 1942-1957 (inclusive)19421957
- 0.75 linear feet, (2 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 099
- Alpha Delta Sigma (ADS), a national honor society sponsored by AAF, recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement in advertising studies. The collection includes chapter handbooks and scrapbooks, convention materials, photographs, financial records, correspondence, and membership information, 1942-1957.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Oregon chapter of Alpha Delta Sigma, known as the W.F.G. Thacher Chapter is named after the fraternity's faculty advisor. The fraternity was installed in 1924.
Alpha Delta Sigma (ADS), a national honor society sponsored by AAF, recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement in advertising studies. ADS is the only national, professional advertising honorary society in American higher education. The organization dates back to 1913 when the fraternity was founded at the University of Missouri. In 1969, ADS merged with Gamma Alpha Chi, a similar organization for women. Later, in 1973, ADS merged with the American Advertising Federation. ADS is the only national, professional advertising honorary society in American higher education. Each year hundreds of students from AAF college chapters are nominated and inducted into Alpha Delta Sigma.
[Source: Alpha Delta Sigma website, http://www.aaf.org/default.asp?id=142]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Material is organized by accession and includes the following material: (lists are not comprehensive)
Accession: 2005.42.A: scrapbook of Mr. W.F.G. Thacher chapter containing photographs of students, student signatures, correspondence of the advertising honorary society.
Accession: 10217.A: correspondence, chapter handbooks, national convention materials, and photographs.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Alpha Delta Sigma. W.F.G. Thacher Chapter records, UA 099, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Advertising--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- College students--Oregon--Eugene--Societies, etc
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Corporate Names :
- Alpha Delta Sigma. W.F.G. Thacher Chapter (University of Oregon)--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon--Students--Societies, etc
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Financial records