Benton County Courthouse Scrapbook, 1968 PDF
- Benton County (Or.)
- Benton County Courthouse Scrapbook
- 1968 (inclusive)19681968
- 0.2 cubic feet, including 11 photographs, (1 oversize box)
- Collection Number
- The Benton County Courthouse Scrapbook was prepared in 1968 by the Benton County Court to support nomination of the site as a state historic site. The scrapbook includes photographs as well as reproductions of historical documents. The Benton County Courthouse was built in 1888 in Corvallis, Oregon, and is the oldest courthouse in Oregon still in use for that purpose.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Benton County Courthouse Scrapbook was assembled by the Benton County Court to document the courthouse building and its history and construction as part of nominating the building for designation as a state historic site. In addition to photographs of various exterior and interior architectural features of the building, the scrapbook contains reproductions of early contracts overseeing the construction of the building and entries from early county court records about the structure. A letter of presentation about the scrapbook and the transcription of the historical entries were prepared by A.L. Strand. One copy of the scrapbook was submitted to the Oregon Historical Society and a second copy to the Benton County Pioneer Historical Society.
Most of the photographs have become detached from the scrapbook, but have been retained in their original placement.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Benton County Courthouse was constructed in 1888 in Corvallis, Oregon, and is the oldest courthouse in Oregon still in use for that purpose.
A.L. Strand was Benton County Commissioner at the time this scrapbook was prepared. Strand was appointed as President of Oregon State College in the fall of 1942 and led the College through World War II and the post-war period of extensive growth in students and facilities. Strand retired in 1961 and remained in Corvallis where he served a 4-year term on the Benton County Commission. He died in Corvallis in 1980.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Benton County Courthouse Scrapbook, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Courthouses--Oregon--Benton County.
- Geographical Names :
- Corvallis (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Strand, A. L. (August Leroy), 1894-