Joseph Clancy papers, 1921-1972 PDF
- Clancy, Joseph, -1973
- Joseph Clancy papers
- 1921-1972 (inclusive)19211972
- 1.96 cubic feet (4 boxes)
- Collection Number
- 2218 (Accession No. 2218-001)
- Joseph Clancy was Secretary of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers of America, Local 104, in Seattle, Washington from 1941 to 1972. This collection spans the years 1921-1972 and contains constitutions and bylaws, correspondence, minutes, legal materials, news clippings, publications, ephemera, photographs, and a scrapbook created and/or kept by Clancy during his time as officer of Local 104.
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Open to all users.
Material stored offsite; advance notice required for use.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Joseph Clancy was Secretary of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers of America, Local 104, in Seattle, Washington from 1941 to 1972. In 1946, tensions escalated between International President Charles J. MacGowan and members of Local 104 after the president attempted to take control of the Local through an appointed board of governors. Clancy and fellow officer Bill Miller were subsequently tried and suspended from the local after refusing to turn over Local 104's funds, newspaper, and records to MacGowan. Initially MacGowan's actions were upheld after the case was first taken to the Seattle superior court by members of the local; however, this decision was reversed several years later by the Washington State Supreme Court. The local was given back control over elections of officers, and Clancy was re-elected to Local 104 in the mid-1950s. Clancy passed away in 1973 shortly after finishing his term as union Secretary in 1972.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Joseph Clancy papers span the years 1921-1972 and contain records related to Clancy's work as Secretary of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers of America, Local 104 in Seattle, Washington. A majority of the materials pertain to International President MacGowan's efforts to take control of Local 104 and the trial and suspension of Clancy and Bill Miller from the union. Also included are records related to the activities of Local 72 in Portland, Oregon.
The collection also contains a scrapbook, likely compiled by Clancy, containing news clippings, photographs, correspondence, election materials, printed materials, and ephemera related to the IBB. Loose materials previously folded into the scrapbook were removed for preservation reasons, placed in folders, and housed with the other foldered materials. This is denoted in the folder titles for these materials.
The following is a detailed description of materials within each series:
- SERIES I: CONSTITUTIONS AND BYLAWS contains IBB International, Local 104, and Local 72 constitutions and bylaws.
- SERIES II: CORRESPONDENCE contains official notices sent to members of Local 104 from International President Charles J. MacGowan; letters from MacGowan to Clancy regarding Clancy’s hearing and suspension as Secretary of Local 104; and outgoing correspondence from Clancy regarding workers' injuries and deaths, dues, and other local matters.
- SERIES III: MEETING MINUTES contains minutes of Local 104, the Everett Central Labor Council, Labor’s General Caucus, and the Pacific Coast Zone Ship Repair Conference meetings.
- SERIES IV: OFFICE FILES contains financial records, reports, officer and member lists, and notes related to activities of Local 104.
- SERIES V: LEGAL MATERIALS contains resolutions, agreements, and court proceedings between the International and Locals 104 and 72 as well as Joseph Clancy's hearing report.
- SERIES VI: PRINTED MATERIALS AND EPHEMERA contains convention proceedings and publications; Local 104 election materials; state election and legislative initiatives materials, including Right to Work Initiative 202; political cartoons and flyers; news clippings; labor publications and newspapers; and Clancy's organizational membership and special event memorabilia.
- SERIES VII: PHOTOGRAPHS contains black and white prints of various sizes, including images of Clancy with other Local 104 officers as well as official group photographs and candid images taken at labor conventions.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Labor Archives of Washington, University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections, Joseph Clancy papers, 2218-001, box number, folder number.
Creator's literary rights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
SERIES I : CONSTITUTIONS AND BYLAWS, 1940-1972Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 1/1-1/3
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers Local 72 (Portland, OR) Proposed Bylaws
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers Local 104 Bylaws
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers International Constitutions
SERIES II : CORRESPONDENCE, 1940-1960Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 1/4-1/10
Scrapbook Loose Materials: Correspondence
SERIES III : MEETING MINUTES, 1943-1954Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 1/11-1/16
Meeting Minutes: Local 104
Meeting Minutes: Everett Central Labor Council
|1954 April 21|
Meeting Minutes: Labor's General Caucus
|1944 April 29|
Meeting Minutes: Pacific Coast Zone Ship Repair Conference
Meeting Minutes: Local 104 [?]
Meeting Minutes: Pacific Coast Shipbuilding Zone Conference
SERIES IV : OFFICE FILES, 1941-1956Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 2/1-2/8
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers News Updates from International President MacGowan
Washington State Federation of Labor General Election Endorsements
|1948 October 2|
Business Agent's Reports to Local 104
Local 104 Audit Reports
Officer and Member Lists
Local 104 Assorted Materials
SERIES V : LEGAL MATERIALS, 1937-1955Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 2/9-2/12
Master Agreements: Boilermakers, Metal Trades, and Shipbuilders
Working Agreement Between Boilermakers Local 104 and Office Employees' International Union Local 8
|1946 March 01|
Joseph Clancy's Hearing Report
|1946 December 05|
SERIES VI : PRINTED MATERIALS AND EPHEMERA, 1921-1969Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 2/13-2/14, 3/1-3/16, 4/1, Map Case Drawer E2
Education- Labor Day event packet: Teaching in Seattle Public Schools
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers 19th Consolidated Convention Proceedings
|1953 June 29-1953 July 07|
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers Convention Proceedings
Speeches and Writings: Herb M. Edwards on Issues Within Union Leadership
National Labor Relations Act Amendment
Local 104 Election Campaign Materials
Public Elections Campaign and Legislative Initiatives Material
Boiler Maker Business Agents
Joseph Clancy's Organization Membership and Event Memorabilia
Political Cartoons and Flyers
Assorted Print Materials
Scrapbook Loose Materials: Clancy vs. MacGowan Case
Scrapbook Loose Materials: "The Freedom Pledge" poster
|1941, 1950, 1969|
Scrapbook Loose Materials: Newspapers
Local 72 and 104 Election Ballots
SERIES VII : PHOTOGRAPHS, 1947-1961Return to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 3/17-3/19, Map Case Drawer E2
Washington State Federation of Labor 14th Annual Convention in Bellingham: Photographs
Local 104 Officers Clancy, Grosso, Johns, and Miller: Photographs
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders and Helpers Convention: Opening Session Attendees in the Kansas City Municipal Auditorium
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Names :
- Clancy, Joseph, -1973--Archives
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Edmundson, W. D (creator)
- Edwards, Herbert M (creator)
- Mitchell, Hugh B. (Hugh Burnton), 1907-1996 (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders, and Helpers of America (creator)
- International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders, and Helpers of America. Local 104 (Seattle, Wash.) (creator)
- Labor Archives of Washington (University of Washington) (creator)
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)