Holling Clancy Holling papers, 1955-1956 PDF
- Holling, Holling Clancy
- Holling Clancy Holling papers
- 1955-1956 (inclusive)19551956
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- Ax 304
- H.C. Holling (1900-1973) was an author and illustrator born in Henrietta, Michigan and educated at the Chicago Art Institute. The collection consists of manuscripts, correspondence, and publicity material. A majority of the collection constitutes the manuscripts of Pagoo.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Holling Clancy Holling (1900-1973) was born in Jackson County, Michigan, and graduated from the Art Institute of Chicago in 1923. He then worked in a taxidermy department of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and spent time working in anthropology under Dr. Ralph Linton. During this period, he married Lucille Webster and within a year of their marriage, he accepted a position as art instructor on the first University World Cruise, sponsored by New York University. For many years, Holling C. Holling dedicated much of his time and interest to making books for children.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Holling Clancy Holling papers consist of manuscripts, correspondence, and publicity material. A majority of manuscripts and correspondence in the collection are limited to the book Pagoo.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Holling Clancy Holling Papers, Ax 304, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
ManuscriptsReturn to Top
CorrespondenceReturn to Top
B. C. Tilghman, Jr.
PublicityReturn to Top
Publicity and Reviews
Text of Autographs
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Authors, American--20th century
- Children's literature, American--Authorship
- Hermit crabs--Juvenile literature
- Illustrated children's books--United States--Specimens
- Illustrators--United States
- Personal Names :
- Holling, Holling Clancy
- Form or Genre Terms :