Allen and Lewis records, 1851-1868 PDF
- Allen, Lucius H.Allen & Lewis (Merchants)Lewis, Cicero Hunt, 1826-1897
- Allen and Lewis records
- 1851-1868 (inclusive)18511868
- 2 linear feet, (2 containers) : 1 record storage box and 1 flat box
- Collection Number
- Bx 002
- Cicero Hunt Lewis (1826-1897) (also known as Cicero Horatius Lewis) and Lucius H. Allen created the Allen and Lewis mercantile company in Portland, Oregon in 1851. The collection contains five ledgers of sales, cash, consignments and account records, 1851-1868.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Cicero Hunt Lewis (1826-1897) (also known as Cicero Horatius Lewis) and Lucius H. Allen created the Allen and Lewis mercantile company in Portland, Oregon in 1851. The company was one of the first general mercantile stores in Portland.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains five ledgers of sales, cash, consignments and account records, 1851-1868.
The cash ledger is from 1851-1857.
The sales ledger is from 1858-1859.
The general sales ledger is from 1857-1862.
The Consignments ledger is from 1857-1868.
There is one oversize account book that is organized by name and includes a name index inside.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Allen and Lewis records|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Business enterprises--Oregon--Portland
- Grocers--Oregon Territory
- Grocery trade--Oregon Territory
- Grocery trade--Oregon--Portland
- Merchants--Oregon Territory
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books
- Financial records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Sales records