Robert Garfias recordings: Son House/guitar, 1968-03-18 PDF
- Garfias, Robert; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Robert Garfias recordings: Son House/guitar
- 4 items : OT - 2 reels (15 ips, full-track, 7"); 2 WAV files (48 kHz, 24-bit); Duration: 00:22:46; also see film log and doc file for NK1 United States/96-18 (Blues videos)
- Collection Number
- Delta style country blues performance by musician and vocalist Eddie James "Son" House, Jr., recorded in the University of Washington School of Music.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Country blues (Delta style) recorded by Robert Garfias, Dan Grinstead, Margaret Devine, Walter Tianen, and Byong Won Lee with Nagra III, Arriflex 16mm (filmed in color)
Contents: S-416: Death Letter Blues, Empire State Express; S-417: Levee Camp Moan.
For video versions of films see - NK1 United States/96-18.2 (VHS) or NK1 United States/96-18.11 (Betacam)
For description of film originals, prints, etc., see 1996 film inventory.
See N5/69-7 for additional recording of Son House (video versions of the song on this tape are included on videos listed above)
Also see "Roots of American Music" (NK1/93-21) (VHS)
Transmission Data: Digital files created 11/2013 - 68-16.1.wav (11:12) and 68-16.2.wav (11:34) (48 kHz, 16-bit)
Documentation: Brief biography
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 audiotape : Audio Reel; Tracks: 2
1 audiotape : Audio Reel; Tracks: 1
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- African Americans--North America--Regional and Ethnic Cultures
- Blues (Music)
- country blues--blues
- delta blues--blues
- Geographical Names :
- North America
- Seattle (Wash.)
- United States
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- House, Son, 1902-1988 (performer)