Thomas O. Ballinger papers, 1952-1971 PDF
- Ballinger, Thomas O.Sundberg, Norman D.
- Thomas O. Ballinger papers
- 1952-1971 (inclusive)19521971
- 8 linear feet, (6 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 206
- Thomas O. Ballinger (1911 - 1998) was a professor in Art Education at the University of Oregon beginning in 1952, and during the 1950's he undertook research projects regarding the people and art of Nepal. The collection (1952-1971) contains his faculty papers, and they include correspondence and committee files as well as research files and reports from Ballinger's work in Nepal.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNARRANGED COLLECTION. UNAVAILABLE FOR USE. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Thomas O. Ballinger (1911 - 1998) was a professor in Art and Education at the University of Oregon, beginning in 1952.
"In 1955-1957, with the U.S. Aid Program, he helped to found Tribuvan University, the Teachers' Training College and a library in Nepal." He undertook research involving Nepalese and American children, and worked with the Peace Corps in a project involving Nepalese art.
[Source: News and Views, Faculty and Staff newsletter of the University of Oregon. "In memoriam." January 8, 1999.]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection is organized by accession and material includes, but is not limited to:
Accession 10122.A: contains records created between 1952 and 1967 including: Nepal Education brochures and booklets, two watercolor paintings, case study files from a study of Nepalese and American children that looked at differences in the way children portray themselves and other people, and publications that include monographs by Theodore Ballinger and Norman Sundberg, relating to educational developments in Nepal (1957-1958). A paper listing of this accession is available in Special Collections and University Archives.
Accession 10337.A: contains records created between 1952 and 1962 including: office files, correspondence, research files, drawings by children, and Nepal project files. Also includes records of a comparison study, undertaken by Norman N. Sundberg and Thomas O. Ballinger, using the Goodenough Draw-a-man Test with children from the Eugene School District and various districts in Nepal in 1958. These files contain instruction sheets, drawings, grading forms, and data obtained. There is also one oversize folder containing examples of children's art from Nepal, India, and Japan, and examples of art from the Albuquerque Adult Indian Program.
Accession 10725.A: contains records created between 1952-1971 including: general correspondence (1968-1974), Dean Creese files (1963-1967), Graduate Examination committee files, AAA library committee and Museum committees files, contract (1971), Peace Corps correspondence and miscellaneous papers (1964-1968), and the final report of the Arts of Nepal, Peace Corps training project, Nepal Panchayat Development (1963).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Art--Study and teaching (Continuing education)--New Mexico--Albuquerque
- Art--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Child psychology--Cross-cultural studies
- Children's art--Asia
- Children's drawings--Nepal
- Children's drawings--Oregon--Eugene
- Children--United States
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Indians of North America--Education--New Mexico--Albuquerque
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Personal Names :
- Ballinger, Thomas O.
- Ballinger, Thomas O.--Correspondence
- Creese, Walter L
- Corporate Names :
- Peace Corps (U.S.)--Nepal
- University of Oregon. Museum of Art
- University of Oregon. School of Architecture and Allied Arts
- University of Oregon--Faculty
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Case files
- Office files