Llewellyn (Lew) P. Holmes papers, 1954-1966 PDF
- Holmes, Lew P., 1895-1988
- Llewellyn (Lew) P. Holmes papers
- 1954-1966 (inclusive)19541966
- 3.5 linear feet, (3 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 552
- Llewellyn (Lew) P. Holmes (1895-1988) was a pulp and western writer who wrote under his own name and the pseudonyms Matt Stuart, Dave Hardin and Perry Westwood. The collection contains correspondence, published works, page proofs, and books.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains correspondence, published works, page proofs, and books.
Correspondence includes incoming letters organized alphabetically by sender's last name or organizational title, and fan mail, 1954-1966.
Published works includes articles for newspapers and other publications, 1956-1962.
Also included are page proofs for five other works, 1957-1961.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Llewellyn (Lew) P. Holmes (1895-1988) was born in a log cabin at Breckenridge, Colorado, atop the Rocky Mountains. After graduating high schoo,l Holmes began to write for pulp magazines and was a major contributor for Leo Margulies' line of pulp publications. Beginning in the 1950s he concentrated on writing western fiction and moved away from pulp writing. Holmes wrote westerns under his own name and the pseudonyms Matt Stuart, Dave Hardin and Perry Westwood. He was managed by the Lenniger Literary Agency.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Llewellyn (Lew) P. Holmes papers, Ax 552, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Publishers and publishing--Correspondence
- Pulp literature, American--Authorship
- Western stories--Authorship
- Personal Names :
- Holmes, Lew P., 1895-1988
- Corporate Names :
- Lenniger Literary Agency--Correspondence
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication