Student Affairs Moving Images, 1963-1992 PDF
- Oregon State University. Office of the Dean of Students.
- Student Affairs Moving Images
- 1963-1992 (inclusive)19631992
- 0.1 cubic foot, including 1 film and 1 videotape, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- FV P 182
- The Student Affairs Moving Images consist of film and video productions prepared by student affairs units at Oregon State University and include a film about sorority rush and a videotape for recruitment of Native American students.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Greek letter social organizations (fraternities and sororities) have been active at Oregon State University (OSU) since the early 20th century; in the 1960s, administrative oversight of fraternities and sororities was provided by the Dean of Students, Dean of Men, and Dean of Women.
The Indian Education Office was one of four culturally specific offices that comprised the Minority Education Office, which provided a safe and welcoming place for students who are navigating the challenges of being a cultural, racial, or ethnic minority at OSU. Currently, the Office of American Indian Initiatives, a component of the Office of Intercultural Student Services, facilitates and supports all university-wide policies and initiatives relating to American Indian/Alaska Native recruitment, retention, and community engagement.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Student Affairs Moving Images consist of two items: Rush at OSU and Paths with Proud Moments.
Rush at OSU depicts sorority rush for women students at Oregon State University. It includes footage of Dean of Students, Robert Chick, and Dean of Women, Helen Moor. The film describes the process for sorority rush and the costs of being a sorority member. It includes interviews with two women students and footage of women participating in rush events, computer punch cards being processed, the interior and exterior of sorority houses, the Memorial Union interior and quadrangle, and fraternity men. The film is 6:29 minutes; it is 16 mm b/w with optical sound. A digital duplication master and DVD use copy of the film are available. The film is also available online.
Paths with Proud Moments was created by the Indian Education Office in about 1992 for the purpose of recruiting Native American students to Oregon State University. The production includes footage of Native American undergraduate and graduate students describing their experiences at Oregon State University; campus views; and scenes of students in classrooms, laboratories, and outdoor settings. The film describes the services offered by the Indian Education Office and the Educational Opportunities Program; opportunities with Native American student organizations; and the Native American marine science program. Scenes of the interior and exterior of the Native American Longhouse appear throughout the video. Cassandra Manuelito-Kerkvliet, Coordinator of the Indian Education Office, introduces the video; Gerry RainingBird narrates and Mike McCanna served as production coordinator. Of special note is footage of Deanna Kingston describing her experiences as a graduate student at Oregon State. . The original videotape is VHS format and is 19 minutes long; it was produced by Antares Videomedia, Ltd. of Corvallis, Oregon. A digital duplication master and DVD use copy of the video are available and it can be viewed online.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Student Affairs Moving Images (FV P 182), Oregon State University Special Collections & Archives Research Center, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College environment--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Recruiting--Oregon.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Indian college students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Minority college students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Personal Names :
- Chick, Robert William.
- Kingston, Deanna M.
- Manuelito-Kerkvliet, Cassandra, 1954-
- Moor, Helen Sterling.
- Corporate Names :
- Educational Opportunities Program (Oregon State University)
- Oregon State University--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Motion pictures (visual works)
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University. Indian Education Office. (creator)