Laurel Sercombe recordings: African Music Ensemble, 1985-05-23 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Laurel Sercombe recordings: African Music Ensemble
- 2 items : Original tape (OT) - 1 compact cassette (stereo, Dolby B, TDK-SA 90); Working tape (WT) - 1 open reel (7 1/2 ips, stereo, 2 tracks, 10 in.)
- Collection Number
- Performance of African music in the University of Washington quad. Thursday noon concert recorded by Laurel Sercombe, 1985 May 23. Performance was sponsored by the Ethnomusicology Division.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laurel Sercombe has been the Archivist for the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington since 1982. She has co-produced a series of music recordings with Northwest Folklife, lectured for classes in Ethnomusicology, Library and Information Science, and American Indian Studies, and designed and taught a course on sound archiving. In 1998 she received a pre-doctoral Smithsonian Research Fellowship and in 2001 received her Ph.D. with the dissertation And Then It Rained: Power and Song in Western Washington Coast Salish Myth Narratives. She is a member of the Music Library Association, the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and the Society for Ethnomusicology, for which she served as Current Discographer 1992–2000 and Treasurer 2000–2004. She serves on the boards of Jack Straw Productions and Northwest Heritage Resources. In 2013 she organized and hosted "Sounds of the World," a series of six programs for UWTV featuring film footage from the Robert Garfias Collection in the Ethnomusicology Archives.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded by Laurel Sercombe with Sony TC-D5M.
Performers: Obo Addy/master drummer; Kofi Anang/dancer; African Music Ensemble: Cynthia Schmidt, Larry Godsey, Jon Kertzer, Gage Averill, Steven Friedson, Terry Pollard, Lowell Lewis, Kim Laird.
Duration (WT): 00:44:20.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Original tapesReturn to Top
Working tapesReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Geographical Names :
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Addy, Obo (performer)
- Anang, Kofi (performer)