"A peculiar paradise" photographic collection, circa 1778-1940 PDF
- "A peculiar paradise" photographic collection
- circa 1778-1940 (inclusive)17781940
- .02 cubic feet (16 photographs in 1 folder)
- Collection Number
- Org. Lot 482
- 16 black and white photographs, ca. 1788-1940, of African Americans in Portland, Oregon used in the book "A Peculiar Paradise" by Elizabeth McLagan.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
- Conversion of this record was made possible by a grant from the National Historic Publications and Records Commission, an agency of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
16 black and white photographs, ca. 1788-1940, of African Americans in Portland, Oregon used in the book "A Peculiar Paradise" by Elizabeth McLagan. Subjects include: the Golden West Hotel; E. D. Cannaday, editor of "The Advocate"; Mr. and Mrs. Bogle; the YWCA on Williams Ave.; E. Richardson; J. A. Merriman; James P. Beckwourth; F. D. Thomas Caterer; the Waldo House; the Bethel and Mt. Olivet Sunday School; B. M. Cannaday; etc.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any reproduction use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
"A Peculiar Paradise" Photographic Collection, Org. Lot 482, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- African American newspaper editors -- Oregon -- Portland -- Photographs.
- African Americans -- Oregon -- Portland -- Photographs.
- Blacks -- Oregon -- Portland -- Photographs.
- Caterers and catering -- Oregon -- Portland -- Photographs.
- Newspaper editors -- Oregon -- Portland -- Photographs.
- Corporate Names :
- Bethel and Mt. Olivet Sunday School (Portland, Or.) -- Photographs.
- F. D. Thomas Caterer (Portland, Or.) -- Photographs.
- Golden West Hotel (Portland, Or.) -- Photographs.
- Young Women's Christian Association (Portland, Or.). -- Williams Avenue Branch -- Photographs.
- Family Names :
- Beckwourth, James Pierson, -- 1798-1866 -- Photographs.
- Bogle, America -- Photographs.
- Bogle, Richard A. -- Photographs.
- Cannaday, Edward -- Photographs.
- Cannady, Beatrice -- Photographs.
- Merriman, J. A. -- Photographs.
- Richardson, E. -- Photographs.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographs. -- aat