Lawrence T. Harris correspondence, 1915-1918, 1923-1927 PDF
- Bryson, Edwin R.Campbell, Prince Lucien, 1861-1925Republican Party (Or.). State Central CommitteeSmith, W. Carlton, 1874-1929Harris, Lawrence T. (Lawrence Thomas), 1873-1960Blanchard, Ozro S.Steiwer, Frederick, 1883-1939Chamberlain, George E. (George Earle), 1854-1928Young, Frederic G. (Frederic George)
- Lawrence T. Harris correspondence
- 1915-1918, 1923-1927 (inclusive)19151927
- 1.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- A 273
- Lawrence Thomas Harris (1873-1960) served in the Oregon House of Representatives (1901-1903) and as a justice in the Oregon Supreme Court (1914-1924). The collection (1915-1918; 1923-1927) contains personal and political correspondence files and testimony from the Taxpayers Equalization League, a group that supported the Zorn-McPherson bill to consolidate higher education in Oregon.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Lawrence Thomas Harris (1873-1960) was born in Albany, Oregon, and educated at the University of Oregon and the University of Michigan.
He worked as a lawyer in Eugene, Oregon and served as District Attorney for Lane County from 1896-1901. He then served in the Oregon House of Representatives (1901-1903) and was Speaker of the House in 1903.
He was appointed in 1905 as a Circuit Court Judge, 2nd District and in 1914 he was elected to the Oregon Supreme Court and served until 1924.
He was also active in University of Oregon matters, especially in times of crisis.
[Source: Oregon Blue Book online]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection (1915-1918; 1923-1927) contains personal and political correspondence files, and correspondents include:
Ozro S. Blanchard; Edwin R. Bryson; Prince Lucien Campbell (UO President); George W. Chamberlain; Jerome Devine; the Republican State Central Committee (Oregon); W. Carlton Smith; Frederick Steiwer; Frederic G. Young.
Correspondence is filed by date, 1915-1927.
Within the 1924-1927 correspondence file are mimeographed transcripts of testimony involving members of the Marion County Taxpayers Equalization League, who supported the Zorn-McPherson bill.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Lawrence T. Harris Correspondence|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Education, Higher--Law and legislation--Oregon
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Education, Higher--Oregon--History--20th century
- Political campaigns--Oregon
- Personal Names :
- Blanchard, Ozro S.
- Bryson, Edwin R.
- Campbell, Prince Lucien, 1861-1925
- Chamberlain, George E. (George Earle), 1854-1928
- Harris, Lawrence T. (Lawrence Thomas), 1873-1960
- Smith, W. Carlton, 1874-1929
- Steiwer, Frederick, 1883-1939
- Young, Frederic G. (Frederic George)
- Corporate Names :
- Marion County Taxpayers Equalization League (Marion County, Or.)
- Oregon State System of Higher Education
- Republican Party (Or.). State Central Committee
- University of Oregon
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon--Politics and government--1859-1950
- Form or Genre Terms :