John H. Nicklin letter, February 25, 1851 PDF
- Nicklin, John H.
- John H. Nicklin letter
- February 25, 185118511851
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- CA 1851 Feb 25
- The John H. Nicklin letter is a single letter, addressed to Nicklin's brother, describing the journey to and conditions found in Oregon in 1851. The letter focuses on the journey over the Oregon Trail and the available agriculture of the Willamette Valley.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
John H. Nicklin was an Oregon pioneer who journeyed across the Oregon Trail in 1851 from Iowa. He settled on the Salt Creek, about 60 miles from Portland and 35 miles off the Pacific coast. Nicklin received 640 acres from the government in Oregon to cultivate for the next four years.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The papers of John H. Nicklin comprise a single letter written on February 25, 1851 to his brother. The letter documents John Nicklin's journey across the Oregon Trail and the conditions found in Oregon. The letter goes into detail about the agriculture productivity and crops he found in Oregon. The letter is eight typed pages.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
John H. Nicklin letter, CA 1851 February 25, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Letter||February 25, 1851|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life--Oregon
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Personal Names :
- Nicklin, John H.
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon National Historic Trail--Description and travel
- Oregon--Description and travel