Robert Garfias recordings: Music & Dance of the Yakan Peoples, 1966-1970 PDF
- Garfias, Robert; Schultz, Harold
- Robert Garfias recordings: Music & Dance of the Yakan Peoples
- 1966-1970 (inclusive)19661970
- 1 videotapes : EC - 1 vct (VHS, stereo, b&w); Duration: 00:11:00; UW Press film catalog
- Collection Number
- Video copy of film produced by the Ethnomusicology Archives and published by University of Washington Press in 1970 (16mm, color) (c1969); out of print 1998. Film features music and dance from the Yakan Peoples of the Philippines.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Full title: Music and Dance of the Yakan Peoples of Basilan Islands, the Philippines
Filmed and recorded by Robert Garfias and Harold Schultz 3/9/66.
1) "Maglaboan" - kulintang ensemble
2) Kalangan kulaing - mouth harp
3) Suling solo
4) "Tumahay" - 3 examples of this war dance
5) Kajali - bamboo xylophone
Front credits: Washington Films/Ethnic Music and Dance series/Robert Garfias, editor/University of Washington Press/Seattle and London.
Note: original UW Press film in color
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Folk music--Philippines
- Kulintang ensemble music
- Kulintang ensembles
- Kulintang music
- Suling (Musical instrument)
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Yakan (Philippine people)
- Geographical Names :
- Basilan Island (Philippines)
- Philippines--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound recordings
- Video recordings