UW Ethnomusicology Archives concert recordings: UW Student Ensembles (audio), 2002-05-18 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives concert recordings: UW Student Ensembles (audio)
- 2 items : OT - 2 CDs (digital, stereo); WD - 2 CDs (digital, stereo); Duration: 2002-12.1 OT - 1:03:02; 2002-12.2 OT - 1:04:03
- Collection Number
- Concert sponsored by University of Washington Ethnomusicology Students Association, May 18, 2002, 7:00pm, Brechemin Auditorium, University of Washington. This concert features student performing groups playing music styles from Australia, Ghana, Venezuela, Southern Philippines, Zimbabwe, and Peru.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laurel Sercombe has been the Archivist for the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington since 1982. She has co-produced a series of music recordings with Northwest Folklife, lectured for classes in Ethnomusicology, Library and Information Science, and American Indian Studies, and designed and taught a course on sound archiving. In 1998 she received a pre-doctoral Smithsonian Research Fellowship and in 2001 received her Ph.D. with the dissertation And Then It Rained: Power and Song in Western Washington Coast Salish Myth Narratives. She is a member of the Music Library Association, the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and the Society for Ethnomusicology, for which she served as Current Discographer 1992–2000 and Treasurer 2000–2004. She serves on the boards of Jack Straw Productions and Northwest Heritage Resources. In 2013 she organized and hosted "Sounds of the World," a series of six programs for UWTV featuring film footage from the Robert Garfias Collection in the Ethnomusicology Archives.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded by Laurel Sercombe on Sony CDR-W33 recorder (installed in Brechemin recording booth) with Audio Technica AT825 stereo condensor mic.
Related collection W1 World 2002-13 (video recording of same concert).
Contents summary: 2002-12.1: Didjeridu Ensemble (The Didjeridorkestra) led by Stewart Dempster; Akoma Ensemble (Ghanaian) led by Yaw Amponsah; Los Gaiteros Supersonicos (Gaita) led by Rob Carroll.
2002-12.2: UW Kulintang Ensemble led by Pam Costes; Mahonyera (Shona mbira) led by Claire Jones; Monica Y Sus Diablitos (Afro-Peruvian) led by Monica Rojas.
WDs are edited versions of the concert containing only music with no talking.
Documentation: Concert program, flyer, and Seattle Times newspaper announcement
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 optical media : CD - published; Tracks: 6
Related collection W1 World 2002-13 (video recording of same concert). Includes first half of concert featuring: Didjeridu Ensemble (The Didjeridorkestra); Akoma Ensemble (Ghanaian); Los Gaiteros Supersonicos (Gaita). For detailed description of contents see concert program.
1 optical media : CD - published; Tracks: 11
Related collection W1 World 2002-13 (video recording of same concert). Includes second half of concert featuring: UW Kulintang Ensemble; Mahonyera (Shona mbira); Monica Y Sus Diablitos (Afro-Peruvian). For detailed description of contents see concert program.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Shona--Africa--Southern Africa
- Geographical Names :
- Philippines--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Students Association (performer)