Robert Garfias collection: M. Nguyen Van Minh Tuc Minh-Con playing the dan bau (Vietnam), Undated PDF
- Garfias, Robert
- Robert Garfias collection: M. Nguyen Van Minh Tuc Minh-Con playing the dan bau (Vietnam)
- 2 audiotapes : EC-1 reel (7 1/2 ips, 1/2 tr. stereo, 7") (see notes for taping description); WT-1 reel (7 1/2 ips, 1/2 tr. stereo, 7"); Duration: 00:06:48
- Collection Number
- Copy of 78 rpm record, Columbia GF 527, recorded in Hanoi, manufactured in France, from the collection of Robert Garfias.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Tape produced as follows: right track recorded direct from record, left track modified with SAE 5000, autocorrelator, and equalizer.
Performer: M. Nguyen Van Minh Tuc Minh-Con playing the dan bau.
Contents: 1) (WLI 53) Tu-Dai Canh [Four Great Landscapes]; 2) (WLI 54) Thu thanh bang dien, Am-nhac; Giao Dan Bau [improvisation on the dan bau]
Translations from Phong Nguyen 12/87 - he also explained form of performer's name: M. [mister] Nguyen Van Minh Tuc [alias] Minh-Con; additional text on record labels: "Thu Thanh Tang Dien - Am-nhac" (translates "electrically-recorded music")
Documentation: Photo-copy of record labels.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Classical Music--Vietnam
- Vietnamese--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Geographical Names :
- Southeast Asia--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings