Jacquin "Jack" L. Lait papers, 1917-1938 PDF
- Lait, Jack, 1882-1954
- Jacquin "Jack" L. Lait papers
- 1917-1938 (inclusive)19171938
- 5.0 linear feet, (4 container)
- Collection Number
- Ax 346
- Jacquin "Jack" Lait was a newspaper reporter and theater critic for the Chicago Herald, and also a writer of short stories, plays, and novels. The collection contains literary manuscripts, illustrations, correspondence, and memorabilia.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Jacquin "Jack" Lait was born in New York City and went to school in Chicago. He became a newspaper reporter and theater critic for the Chicago Herald. He was also a writer of short stories, plays, and novels. He is best known for his "Confidential" series, manuscripts of which have not survived.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains literary manuscripts, illustrations, correspondence, and memorabilia.
Literary manuscripts are separated by type of writing: novels, short stories, plays, scenarios, and essays. There are manuscripts of of four novels, forty-four short stories, twelve plays, and five scripts or scenarios.
Correspondence is mostly incoming, from 1927-1936.
Also available in the collection are print illustrations of European landscapes and towns and folio of more than 30 oversize original illustrations depicting women's fashion and romantic scenes circa 1925.
Scrapbooks contain newspaper pieces and clippings of his writings, and other mementos.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Jacquin "Jake" L. Lait papers, Ax 346, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- American drama--20th century
- American literature--20th century
- Arts and Humanities
- Authors, American--20th century
- Dramatists, American--20th century
- Journalists--United States
- Reporters and reporting--United States--History--20th century
- Short stories, American--Authorship
- Personal Names :
- Lait, Jack, 1882-1954
- Lait, Jack, 1882-1954--Correspondence
- Geographical Names :
- Europe--In art
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication
- Scripts (documents)
- Short stories