Corbett, Failing, and Company records, 1855-1901 PDF
- Corbett, Failing & Co.Elfelt, Weil & Co.Failing and Hatt (Portland, Or.).First Baptist Church (Portland, Or.).
- Corbett, Failing, and Company records
- 1855-1901 (inclusive)18551901
- 14.0 linear feet, (23 containers, 5 volumes)
- Collection Number
- Bx 191
- Corbett, Failing and Company was a general store in Portland, Oregon during the mid-1880s to early 1900s. The collection contains the bills, account books and shipping ledgers, receipts, telegrams and correspondence, inventories and scrapbooks of Corbett, Failing and Co., as well as some records and business documents of Failing and Hatt, and Elfelt, Weil and Co.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections & University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Corbett, Failing and Company was a general store in Portland, Oregon during the mid-1880s to early 1900s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains the bills, account books and shipping ledgers, receipts, telegrams and correspondence, inventories and scrapbooks of Corbett, Failing and Co., as well as some records and business documents of Failing and Hatt, and Elfelt, Weil and Co., covering the years 1855-1901.
Records include hand-written receipts, bills, correspondence, inventories, scrapbooks and cash/account/shipping ledgers.
Scrapbooks and letter press books contain correspondence, clippings, telegrams, post cards, receipts, and contain information on such subjects as the salmon industry. Correspondents of note include the Honorable A. C. Meachem.
Volumes include account ledgers, shipping ledgers, and account books. There is one account book specifically for receipts of gold dust.
Also available is a cash account book of the treasurer of the First Baptist Church of Portland, Oregon (1860-1863). Corbett or Failing may have been the treasurer.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Corbett, Failing, and Company records, Bx 191, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Business enterprises--Oregon--Portland
- Business, Industry, and Labor
- General stores--Oregon--Portland
- Personal Names :
- Corbett, Henry W. (Henry Winslow), 1827-1903
- Failing, James F., 1842-1920
- Corporate Names :
- Corbett, Failing & Co.--Records and correspondence.
- Geographical Names :
- Portland (Or.)--Commerce
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books
- Financial records