Corbett, Failing, and Company records, 1855-1901 PDF
- Corbett, Failing & Co.Elfelt, Weil & CoFailing and Hatt (Portland, Or.)First Baptist Church (Portland, Or.)
- Corbett, Failing, and Company records
- 1855-1901 (inclusive)18551901
- 14 linear feet, (23 containers, 5 volumes)
- Collection Number
- Bx 191
- Corbett, Failing, and Company was a general store in Portland, Oregon during the mid-1880s to early 1900s. The collection contains bills, account books, shipping ledgers, receipts, telegrams, correspondence, inventories, and scrapbooks of Corbett, Failing and Co., as well as some records and business documents of Failing and Hatt, and Elfelt, Weil and Co.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNARRANGED COLLECTION. UNAVAILABLE FOR USE. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections .
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Corbett, Failing and Company was a general store in Portland, Oregon during the mid-1880s to early 1900s.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains the bills, account books and shipping ledgers, receipts, telegrams and correspondence, inventories and scrapbooks of Corbett, Failing and Co., as well as some records and business documents of Failing and Hatt, and Elfelt, Weil and Co., covering the years 1855-1901.
Records include hand-written receipts, bills, correspondence, inventories, scrapbooks and cash/account/shipping ledgers.
Scrapbooks and letter press books contain correspondence, clippings, telegrams, post cards, receipts, and contain information on such subjects as the salmon industry. Correspondents of note include the Honorable A. C. Meachem.
Volumes include account ledgers, shipping ledgers, and account books. There is one account book specifically for receipts of gold dust.
Also available is a cash account book of the treasurer of the First Baptist Church of Portland, Oregon (1860-1863). Corbett or Failing may have been the treasurer.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
[Identification of item], Corbett, Failing, and Company records, Bx 191, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Business enterprises--Oregon--Portland
- General stores--Oregon--Portland
- Personal Names :
- Corbett, Henry W. (Henry Winslow), 1827-1903
- Failing, James F., 1842-1920
- Corporate Names :
- Corbett, Failing & Co.
- Geographical Names :
- Portland (Or.)--commerce
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books
- Financial records