Emmett Edward Doherty scrapbook and photographs, 1917-1920 PDF
- Doherty, Emmett Edward, 1897-1979
- Emmett Edward Doherty scrapbook and photographs
- 1917-1920 (inclusive)19171920
- 1.0 linear foot
- Collection Number
- Mss 871
- Emmett Doherty was a student at the University of Montana in Missoula prior to his enlistment in the United States armed forces during World War I. This collection contains a scrapbook and additional photographs that depict his time at the university as well as his year spent abroad until the end of the war.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and The University of Montana-Missoula.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Emmett Edward Doherty was born in Minnesota on August 27, 1897. His family moved to Butte, Montana, around 1904. Doherty attended college at the University of Montana in Missoula until World War I interrupted his education. He left the university in 1919 and joined the armed forces. After the war, he attended George Washington University and settled in California.
Doherty was admitted to the California State Bar Association in 1926 and eventually served as an Assistant United States Attorney in Los Angeles. He was elected and served as a Los Angeles Superior Court Judge in the 1960s.
Emmett Doherty passed away on August 1, 1979 in Tucson, Arizona.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of one oversized scrapbook containing mostly photographs with additional ephemera and a small group of loose photographs. The photographs depict the life of Emmett Doherty and span the approximate dates of 1917 to 1920. They include scenery and individuals in: Missoula, Montana where Doherty attended college at the University of Montana; Butte, Montana where Emmett grew up; various scenes in France and at sea while he was serving in the United States armed forces during World War I; and Washington D.C. while Doherty attended college at George Washington University.
The majority of the photos are Doherty's college friends and campus scenes; most of the photographs were identified by the creator. There are several University of Montana football and men's basketball team photos as well as Aber Day festivities on campus. Photographs from Doherty's time in the military include the New York Harbor, the USS Von Steuben, fellow soldiers on duty, and various scenes in France (particularly Brest).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to the University of Montana.
Emmett Doherty Scrapbook and Photographs, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Washington (D.C.)--Social life and customs--20th century--Photographs
- Soldiers--United States--Photographs
- World War, 1914-1918--Montana--Missoula--Photographs
- Corporate Names :
- George Washington University--Students--Social life and customs--20th century--Photographs
- State University of Montana (Missoula, Mont.)--Students--Social life and customs--20th century--Photographs
- Von Steuben (Troop ship)--Photographs
- Geographical Names :
- Brest (France)--Photographs
- Butte (Mont.)--Photographs
- Missoula (Mont.)--Photographs
- New York Harbor (N.Y. and N.J.)--Photographs
- Washington (D.C.)--Photographs
- Form or Genre Terms :