Roseburg Chamber of Commerce Records, 1924-1929 PDF
- Roseburg Chamber of Commerce (Roseburg, Or.)
- Roseburg Chamber of Commerce Records
- 1924-1929 (inclusive)19241929
- .25 cubic feet (1 document case)
- Collection Number
- The collection contains letters, telegrams, newsletters, and flyers from the files of H. E. Cully, Executive Secretary of the Roseburg, Oregon, Chamber of Commerce in the late 1920s. Also included are surveys of the poultry farms of Douglas County, Oregon.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
In 1850, Aaron Rose, formerly of New York, purchased a claim that was originally platted as the town site of Deer Creek, Oregon. The early town was little more than a tavern and a stopping place for travelers on the Oregon-California Trail. In 1857, the town was renamed Roseburg, and included a grist mill, post office, and school. In 1872, the same year the town officially incorporated, the O&C Railroad established its southern terminal here. The railroad provided economic access to the thriving agricultural community. Crops included fruit, berries, melons and field crops. Roseburg is near some of the world's richest timber land, and the town became a major lumber producer in the housing boom after World War II. At the timber industry's height, 278 mills operated in Douglas County.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains letters, telegrams, newsletters, and flyers from the files of H. E. Cully, Executive Secretary of the Roseburg Chamber of Commerce in the late 1920s. Activities detailed include a campaign to stop peddlers and door-to-door salesmen from out of town in favor of local businesses, investigations of several proposed businesses in the southern Oregon area, the arrival of the Great Northern Railroad in Klamath Falls and other railroad activities, and securing an appropriation for lights and water at the Oregon Caves. Also included are surveys of the poultry farms of Douglas County for 1926 and 1927.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any publication use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Roseburg Chamber of Commerce Records, Mss341, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Anti-peddler and door-to-door sales campaign
|2||W. H. Cope
Proposed motion picture studio
|4||Douglas Cooperative Prune
|5||Douglas County Cooperative Turkey
|6||Klamath County Chamber of
|8||Oregon Association of Commercial
O. A. C. S. Digest
|10||Pacific Cooperative Poultry
|11||Pacific Cooperative Poultry
|12||Pacific Cooperative Poultry
|13||Pacific Cooperative Poultry
||1929 and undated|
|14||Pacific Cooperative Poultry Producers: Surveys||1926-1927|
|15||Pacific Cooperative Poultry Producers: Marketing and subscription agreements||1924-1927|
|16||Power and light rates
|17||Public Service Commission of
Oregon vs. Central Pacific Railroad et al
|18||River closure bills
|20||Sutherlin Chamber of Commerce||1929|
|21||Timber sales monies
|24||United States Bureau of
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Agricultural cooperative credit associations -- Oregon -- History -- 20th century.
- Agriculture -- Oregon -- Douglas County.
- Boards of trade -- Oregon -- Roseburg.
- Cauliflower -- Oregon.
- Lumber trade -- Oregon -- Douglas County.
- Peddlers and peddling -- Oregon -- Roseburg.
- Poultry industry -- Oregon -- Douglas County.
- Railroads -- Oregon -- Douglas County.
- Railroads -- Oregon -- Klamath County.
- Personal Names :
- Cully, H. E.
- Corporate Names :
- Pacific Poultry Producers Cooperative.
- Roseburg Chamber of Commerce (Roseburg, Or.) (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Douglas County (Or.)
- Oregon Caves National Monument (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Flyers (printed matter)