Francis Vinton Greene diary and letter, 1874-1875 PDF
- Greene, F. V.(Francis Vinton), 1850-1921
- Francis Vinton Greene diary and letter
- 1874-1875 (inclusive)18741875
- 1 box, (0.25 linear foot)
- Collection Number
- The Francis Vinton Greene diary and letter (1874-1875) were created by General Francis Greene, a military engineer, historian, and businessman. Greene describes his activities around Yellowstone Park, mining conditions in Virginia City, Indian hostilities, and records latitude and longitude data during his travels.
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Twenty-four hour advanced notice encouraged. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Francis Vinton Greene was born on 27 June 1850. He graduated from West Point in 1870 and served as second lieutenant of artillery until 1872, when he transferred to the Army Corps of Engineers. He was promoted to first lieutenant in 1874 and served as military attache to the U.S. Legation in Russia from 1877-1878. He was put in charge of public works in Washington, D.C. from 1879-1885 and was promoted to a captain. Greene commanded an expedition during the Spanish-American War and later wrote an extensive report on conditions in Cuba, which became the basis of American policy there. He served in various political and civic positions throughout his life and was also an active writer. Francis Vinton Greene died on 15 May 1921.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Francis Vinton Greene diary and letter (1874-1875) were created by General Francis Greene, a military engineer, historian, and businessman. Greene describes his activities around Yellowstone Park, mining conditions in Virginia City, Indian hostilities, and records latitude and longitude data during his travels.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The library does not claim to control copyright for all materials in the collection. An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights as outlined in Title 45 CFR, part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects). For further information, please review the J. Willard Marriott Library’s Use Agreement and Reproduction Request forms.
Initial Citation: Francis Vinton Greene diary and letter, MS 0133, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. University of Utah, J. Willard Marriott. Salt Lake City, Utah.
Following Citations: MS 0133.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Geographical Names :
- Montana--Description and travel--19th century
- Virginia City (Mont.)
- West (U.S.)--Description and travel
- Yellowstone National Park--Description and travel--19th century
- Form or Genre Terms :