Edwin William Hampton correspondence, May 19, 1898-June 24, 1899 PDF
- Hampton, Edwin William, 1879-1899
- Edwin William Hampton correspondence
- May 19, 1898-June 24, 1899 (inclusive)18981899
- 0.15 linear feet, (3 folders)
- Collection Number
- A 046
- Edwin William Hampton, from Portland, Oregon, a private in Company H, Oregon Volunteer Infantry, is said to have been the first Oregon soldier killed in the Spanish-American War's Philippines campaign. The letters, with few exceptions, are to and from family members. During the war Hampton was at Presidio, Calif., and in Manila, P.I.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The letters, with few exceptions, are to and from family members. During the war Hampton was at Presidio, California, and in Manila, Philippines. Letters date from May 19, 1898-June 24, 1899.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Edwin William Hampton (1879-1899), from Portland, Oregon, was a private in Company H, Oregon Volunteer Infantry. He is said to have been the first Oregon soldier killed in the Philippines campaign of the Spanish-American War.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Edwin William Hampton correspondence, A 046, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Soldiers--United States--Correspondence
- Spanish-American War, 1898--Campaigns--Philippines
- Spanish-American War, 1898--Personal narratives, American
- Corporate Names :
- United States. Army. Oregon Volunteers, 2nd. Company H..
- Geographical Names :
- Philippines--History--Philippine American War, 1899-1902--Personal narratives, American
- Form or Genre Terms :