Arthur Hartwig notes on Germans from Russia, 1916-1999 PDF
- Hartwig, Arthur
- Arthur Hartwig notes on Germans from Russia
- 1916-1999 (inclusive)19161999
- 0.1 linear feet of shelf space, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- Cage 5085 (collection)
- The Arthur Hartwig Papers consist of materials on various German-Russian individuals living in the United States. This collection predominately consists of newspaper articles and correspondence associated with the German-Russian population in Washington State. It also includes copies of articles and book chapters discussing Germans from Russia.
- Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open and available for research use.
- English, German
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Arthur Hartwig was born October 6, 1913 in Walla Walla, Washington to Lewin and Emma Hartwig. Lewin was born in a community of Volga Germans called Friedenberg in 1889, and initially immigrated to Kansas with his father in 1892. Lewin’s father soon bought a piece of land from the Northern Pacific Railroad, and settled near Ritzville, Washington. A descendent of a German-Russian family, Arthur became interested and devoted in information pertaining the German-Russian population that existed in Central and Eastern Washington. This also included genealogical information about his family and its descendants, and soon stretched to a general interest on German-Russians nation-wide.
Arthur graduated from Washington State University in 1941, and was a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity. After graduating from Washington State University, Arthur moved to Illinois. Arthur died in March 20, 2010 in Morton, Illinois.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Arthur Hartwig Papers consists of Hartwig’s genealogical research on Germans from Russia. This collection contains copies of newspaper articles from the German press Die Welt-Post (The World Post), which include English translations of the text. These texts are mainly associated with German-Russians/Volga Germans in Washington State. There is also correspondence between Arthur Hartwig and family members, and to individuals associated with Jeruslan Nachrichten (a newsletter for descendants of German colonies along the Jeruslan River), and the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia. Also included in this collection are genealogical documents with names, and articles/copies of book chapters on Volga Germans.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Copyright restrictions may apply.
[Item description]. Arthur Hartwig notes on Germans from Russia, 1916-1999. Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Russian Germans -- America -- History.
- Personal Names :
- Hartwig, Arthur -- Archives.