Chemawa Indian School Souvenir Collection, 1898 PDF
- Horner, John B., 1885-1933
- Chemawa Indian School Souvenir Collection
- 1898 (inclusive)18981898
- 0.03 cubic feet
- Collection Number
- OrSlTCC Souvenir
- The collection contains an 1898 annual for the Chemawa Indian Training School north of Salem, Oregon.
- Confederated Tribes of the Siletz, Tribal Cultural Collections
402 Park Way P.O. Box 549
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Collection materials are in English.
- Funding for preparing this finding aid was provided through a grant rewarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Chemawa Indian Training School was established in 1880 by Lieutenant Melville C. Wilkinson in Forest Grove, Oregon. The school operated in Forest Grove until 1885. Requests for additional land in 1881 brought land offers from Newberg, McMinnville, and Salem. With 171 acres and a train spur, Salem was selected as the new location for the training school. The school reopened in October 1885 and became a federal institution in 1907. The school expanded to 426 acres in 1922 with the support of student salaries from industrial courses and summer labor. In 1927, Chemawa became a fully-accredited four-year high school. The school was faced with closure in the spring of 1933 due to cuts to the Indian Service budget, but was reopened later that fall. The Chemawa Indian School celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1980 and is currently the oldest off-reservation Indian boarding school in existence.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains an 1898 annual depicting campus life and curriculum at the Chemawa Indian Training School located north of Salem.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Chemawa Indian Training School Souvenir Collection, Siletz Tribal Cultural Collections, Siletz, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Indians of North America--Education--Oregon
- Corporate Names :
- Chemawa Indian School
- Form or Genre Terms :