J. H. (John Henry) Christ papers, 1954-1955 PDF
- Christ, J. H. (John Henry), 1896-
- J. H. (John Henry) Christ papers
- 1954-1955 (inclusive)19541955
- 0.25 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- Ax 767
- J. H. (John Henry) Christ edited a book regarding the recollections of a Pony Express Rider, Isaac Van Dorsey Mossman, who worked for the Pony Express in the mid 1800s. The collection (1954-1955) contains manuscript and research material, correspondence, photographs, and publicity.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
J. H. (John Henry) Christ edited a book regarding the recollections of a Pony Express Rider, Isaac Van Dorsey Mossman. Isaac Morrison worked for the Pony Express in the mid 1800s, and according to the manuscript, "started with the Miller Party who was destined for Oregon City in 1953."
The original article regarding Mossman's recollections was first printed in the Oregon periodical, Native Son, in 1901. The original article was titled, "Crossing the Plains." A book version was later published by the Old Oregon bookstore, in 1954, and the title was changed to, A Pony Expressman's Recollections.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection (1954-1955) contain manuscript drafts, footnotes, and a sample copy of the book (with only a few printed pages).
Research material includes photographs and notes.
Correspondence is separated into incoming and outgoing sections. Outgoing letters are arranged by date, 1954-1955. Incoming letters are arranged alphabetically by name, also 1954-1955. The correspondence is mostly regarding research queries regarding Mossman.
The collection also includes publicity regarding the book, with articles about Mossman and Christ.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], J. H. (John Henry) Christ papers, Ax 767, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Publicity--United States
- Transportation—Horses, donkeys & mules
- Personal Names :
- Christ, J. H. (John Henry), 1896-
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication