• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

Chemical Engineering Department Records, 1930-1966

Overview of the Collection

Creator
Oregon State University. Dept. of Chemical Engineering.
Title
Chemical Engineering Department Records
Dates
1930-1966 (inclusive)
1947-1965 (bulk)
Quantity
0.1 cubic foot, (1 box)
7 microfilm reels, (1 box)
Collection Number
RG 153
Summary
The Chemical Engineering Department Records document the teaching and research activities of the department, primarily during the time that J.S. Walton was department head. The Chemical Engineering Department was established at Oregon State in 1917 and became a unit of the School of Engineering in 1932.
Repository
Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections & Archives Research Center
Special Collections & Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
Corvallis OR
97331-4501
Telephone: 541-737-2075
Fax: 541-737-8674
scarc@oregonstate.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Languages
English


Historical NoteReturn to Top

Chemical Engineering was established in 1917 as an independent department reporting directly to the President's Office; it was incorporated into the School of Engineering in 1932. The academic program in chemical engineering, also known as industrial chemistry, prepared undergraduate and graduate students for work in the chemical industry. Chemical engineering faculty are also involved in research to develop new technologies critical to Northwest industries such as electronics materials processing, forest products, and food science. During the 1950s, the department offered courses in nuclear engineering.

The Chemical Engineering Building was completed in 1955 with specialized teaching and research laboratories. It was later renamed in honor of George Gleeson. Gleeson joined the Oregon State faculty in chemical engineering in 1928; he was Chemical Engineering Department Head from 1937 until 1944, when he became the Dean of Engineering. J.S. Walton became the department head in 1945.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The Chemical Engineering Department Records document the teaching and research activities of the department, primarily during the period that J.S. Walton was department head in the 1940s and 1950s. The records include general reference files and records documenting the construction of the Chemical Engineering Building. The reference files consist primarily of correspondence, reports, publications, clippings, and related materials. They provide information about department faculty and graduate students, professional societies, honors, and awards. The reference files include materials pertaining to various research topics including atomic energy, electrostatic separation, mining and ores, raw materials, radioactive dating, polymerization, pollution, and stream improvement. The reference files are available only on microfilm. The materials pertaining to the Chemical Engineering Building are in paper form.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Preferred Citation

Chemical Engineering Department Records (RG 153), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

Series I:  General Reference File, 1930-1966Return to Top

Series I consists of correspondence, reports, and related materials primarily created or assembled by department chair J.S. Walton during the 1940s and 1950s. The records document the teaching, research, and outreach activities of the department and include materials pertaining to professional societies; graduate students and faculty; and topics such as atomic energy, electrostatic separation, mining and ores, raw materials, radioactive dating, pollution and stream improvement,

Container(s) Description Dates
Reel
1
1: Robert Adamson
1947
1
2: American Chemical Society
1957-1966
3: American Institute of Chemical Engineers
1949-1962
Reel
1
1949-1961
2
1961-1962
4: American Society of Electrical Engineers
1950-1965
Reel
2
1950-1955
3
1955-1965
Reel
3
5: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
1950
3
6: American Institute of Mining Engineers
1951-1953
3
7: Applications - Staff Positions
1954-1961
3
8: Atomic Energy
1957-1966
3
9: Awards
1955-1965
3
10: Bechtel Scholarships
1955
3
11: T.D. Bhaskar
1947-1949
3
12: General Correspondence and Department Reports of Monthly Activities
1953-1954
3
13: Budget
1948-1965
3
14: Building
1964-1966
Bureau of Mines
1951-1963
Reel
3
1951-1963
3
16: Fellowship
1963
Reel
3
17: Business Office
1959-1961
3
18: John P. Chan
1952-1954
3-4
19: John Clapp
1951
4
20: General Correspondence
1955-1965
4
21: Crown Zellerbach Company
1952-1953
4
22: Dean
1955-1965
4
23: Dow Fellowship
1955-1966
4
24: Electrostatic Separation
1950-1952
4
25: Equipment
1950-1962
4
26: Experiment Station
1953
4
27: Experiment Station and Extension
1950-1955
4
28: Extension
1961-1962
29: Field Trips
1948-1965
Reel
4
1948-1955
5
1955-1965
Reel
5
30: Food Technology Research
1955
5
31: General Electric Research
1950
5
32: Honor Societies
1952
5
33: Honors - D.F. Rynning Award
1954
5
34: Interviews
1953-1964
5
35: James G. Knudsen
1950-1951
5
36: Student Applications and Recommendations
1951-1954
5
37: Mining and Ores
1955-1958
5
38: Miscellaneous
1950-1953
5
39: NASA
1963
5
40: National Council for Stream Improvement
1949-1951
5-6
41: National Science Foundation
1959-1960
6
42: News
1949-1951
6
43: OSEA
1961-1965
6
44: Pollution
1948-1961
6
45: Polymerization
1930-1946
6
46: Public Service
1955-1962
6
47: Radioactive Dating Program
1950-1955
6
48: Raw Material Survey
1947-1959
6
49: Research
1951-1966
6
50: William Schultz
1964
6
51: Service Reports
1957-1963
6
52: Kamal Kumar Sharma
1963-1964
7
53: Staff
1955-1963
7
54: Standard Oil Scholarship
1956-1965
7
55: Subscriptions to News
1950-1962
7
56: Walton's Correspondence
1951-1953

Series II:  Chemical Engineering Building Construction Records, 1949-1954Return to Top

Container(s): Box 1

Series II documents the planning and construction of the Chemical Engineering Building (Gleeson Hall). It includes correspondence and proposed specifications prepared in 1949 for a Chemical and Mining Engineering Building and the 1954 specifications for general construction and mechanical and electrical work on the Chemical Engineering Building.