UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Ashok Kumar and Laurel Sercombe recordings: Necdet Yasar Ensemble (concert), 1991-11-16 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Ashok Kumar and Laurel Sercombe recordings: Necdet Yasar Ensemble (concert)
- 6 items : 91-12.1 OT - 1 DAT (digital, stereo); 91-12.2-4 EC - 3 reels (7.5 ips, 2 tr., stereo, 7"); WD - 2 compact discs (91-12.1-2 CD) (digital stereo); Duration: 1:44:00
- Collection Number
- A performance of the Necdet Yasar Ensemble, recorded at Kane Hall 130, University of Washington, 1991 November 16. Recorded by Ashok Kumar and Laurel Sercombe.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Necdet Yaşar (1930 - 2017) was a tanbur lute player and teacher, from Nizip, a small town near Gaziantep, Turkey. He graduated from the School of Economy, Istanbul University in 1953. As a student he first played bağlama before switching to tanbur. He played tanbur as a soloist or in a group in many foreign countries: United States, Canada, England, France, Holland, Belgium, Finland, South Korea and Israel. From 1972 to 1973 and 1980 to 81, Yaşar was a resident artist of Ethnomusicology at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, where he gave lectures on the makam system of Ottoman Classical Music. Yaşar also performed as a tanbur artist and an ambassador of Turkish Classical Music with small or large ensembles including his own "The Necdet Yaşar Ensemble" in Europe, East Asia and North America. Yaşar is noted for his command of the Turkish makam melodic modes, his influential tanbur techniques, and the construction of his taksim improvisations.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded by Laurel Sercombe and Ashok Kumar for the UW Ethnomusicology Archives with Panasonic SV-250 DAT recorder, Symetrix SX202 dual mic preamp, audio feed from PA mix (5 mics, one for each musician).
Performers (Necdet Yasar Ensemble): Necdet Yasar/tanbur; Necati Celik/ud; Hasan Esen/kemence; Goksel Baktagir/kanun; Nurettin Celik/voice (& daire).
Concert co-sponsored by Turkish American Cultural Assoc., UW School of Music, Ethnomusicology Program, and the Middle East Center of the Jackson School of International Studies.
See logsheets and documentation file for description of contents.
Total duration: 1:44:06 (durations of EC reels: 46:10, 43:18, 11:43).
Documentation: Concert program
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Turks--Middle East--Middle East
- Geographical Names :
- Middle East--Middle East--General Middle East
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Celik, Necati (instrumentalist)
- Celik, Nurettin (vocalist)
- Esen, Hasan (instrumentalist)
- Göksel, Baktagir, 1966- (instrumentalist)
- Yaşar, Necdet (instrumentalist)
- Corporate Names :
- Necdet Yaşar Ensemble (performer)