Carsten Lien Olympic National Park photograph collection, 1941-1982  PDF

Overview of the Collection

Collector
Lien, Carsten
Title
Carsten Lien Olympic National Park photograph collection
Dates
1941-1982 (inclusive)
Quantity
191 negatives (2 boxes)
48 slides and 21 prints (1 box)
Collection Number
PH0711
Summary
Photographs illustrating the political and environmental history of Olympic National Park
Repository
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA
98195-2900
Telephone: 206-543-1929
Fax: 206-543-1931
speccoll@uw.edu
Access Restrictions

The collection is open to the public.

Languages
English
Sponsor
Funding for encoding this finding aid was partially provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.


Biographical NoteReturn to Top

Carsten Lien was born in Seattle on March 24, 1926. He graduated from Ballard High School in 1944 before serving in the United States Navy during World War II. After the war, he attended the University of Washington (Bachelor’s Degree in Education) and Columbia University (Master’s Degree in Education and History) while also working for several summers as a seasonal ranger naturalist in Olympic National Park.

Lien had a long and varied career. Following his graduation from Columbia, he taught social studies at Ballard High School before working at the Bureau of Community Development at the University of Washington. He then took a position as a deputy administrator of the Latin America Training Program for the Peace Corps. Lien also worked at the U.S. Department of Labor, as a senior vice president at Washington Mutual Savings Bank, and as vice president and corporate secretary of REI.

After his retirement, Lien focused much of his efforts on conservation. In 1988, he served as the president of the Mountaineers, a Seattle-based hiking and climbing club that formed in 1906. Three years later, he published his first book Olympic Battleground: The Power Politics of Timber Preservation (San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1991), which explored the fight to save the forests in Olympic National Park from logging. Lien’s second book, Exploring the Olympic Mountains: Accounts of the Earliest Expeditions, 1878-1890 (Seattle: Mountaineers Books, 2001), was published ten years later.

In addition to his involvement with the Mountaineers, Lien served on the boards of The Nature Conservancy, Olympic Park Associates, Seattle Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the Seattle Municipal League, and the Allied Arts of Seattle. He also ran for the Seattle School Board in 1974 and for mayor of Seattle in 1989, although he was not successful in either campaign.

Carsten Lien died on April 7, 2012.

Historical BackgroundReturn to Top

Federal management of forest land on Washington State's Olympic Peninsula began in 1897 when President Grover Cleveland issued a proclamation creating the Olympic Forest Reserve. Cleveland's proclamation mandated protection of 2,188,800 acres from settlement and development activities on the Olympic Peninsula. As a precursor to later debates regarding public land management, President William McKinley subsequently reduced acreage in the Olympic Forest Reserve by nearly 700,000 acres in 1900 and 1901 under pressure from timber companies and development advocates. In 1907, the Olympic Forest Reserve became known as the Olympic National Forest as part of the Forest Service's reorganization into the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Concurrent with the rise of environmentalism in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, President Theodore Roosevelt established Mount Olympus National Monument in 1909 to help preserve forest and grazing areas for the Olympic Peninsula's native elk population. Mount Olympus National Monument originally included 610,560 acres, however, President Woodrow Wilson reduced the Monument by nearly 50% in 1915 in response to increasing demands for timber and mining resources. In 1938, President Franklin D. Roosevelt officially established Olympic National Park as a protected area under control of the U.S. Department of Interior's National Park Service. In the 1940s and 1950s, management of Olympic National Park became a topic of intense political debate between environmentalists and timber industry advocates. The National Park Service authorized controversial logging operations in Olympic National Park in 1955 and 1956, and debate regarding development in and resource management of public lands remains ongoing and highly contested.

Olympic National Park became an International Biosphere Reserve in 1976, and in 1981 earned distinction as a World Heritage Site. Environmental protection of Olympic National Park increased further in 1988, when nearly 95% of the Park received designation as a federal Wilderness Area. As of 2005, Olympic National Park encompasses 922,651 acres and receives nearly 3 million annual visitors. Olympic National Park is largely surrounded by the Olympic National Forest, which contains an additional 633,677 acres of federally-managed land and receives 455,900 annual visitors.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The collection contains images related to the political history, environmental protection, and public management of Olympic National Park and the Olympic National Forest. Special emphasis is placed on development activities, logging operations, and environmental activism in the 1940s and 1950s. Included are photographs by Neil Mortiboy used in a 1941 report entitled Sitka Spruce in Olympic National Park, photographs by Carsten Lien of historic buildings and lookouts in Olympic National Park, portraits of Emergency Conservation Committee members, photographs of logging operations in and around Olympic National Park, photographs of prominent National Park Service administrators, copies of related materials such as political cartoons, boundary maps, and newspaper advertisements, and copies of newspaper articles from The Seattle Press about the Press Expedition of 1889-1890 and the Conrad-Olmstead Party of 1890. This collection also contains images presenting the relationship between Mount Rainier National Park and Olympic National Park.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Alternative Forms Available

View selections from the collection in digital format

Restrictions on Use

Restrictions might exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact the repository for details.

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

 

Sitka Spruce in Olympic National Park, March-May 1941Return to Top

Neil Mortiboy  ( photographer)

This series contains photographs used in the 1941 report Sitka Spruce in Olympic National Park. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
1/1 1
Spruce root formation near Harlow Creek on the Queets River
"The roots of these two trees extend above ground for a distance of over forty feet."
April 1941
1/1 2
Spruce trees three and a half miles up the South Fork Hoh River Trail
"These trees apparently rooted on an old log."
April 1941
1/1 3 April 1941
1/1 4
Spruce trees near Flat Bottom Shelter on the South Fork Hoh River
"Spruce trees standing on stilts. The small tree in the center is a hemlock."
April 1941
1/1 5
Spruce tree near the Queets River
"This huge spruce tree apparently took root on an old stump. The stilted roots have since grown together."
April 1941
1/1 6
Douglas fir stand half a mile up the South Fork Hoh River Trail
"Very good quality Douglas fir stand. Note the clear boles and the absence of underbrush."
April 1941
1/1 7 April 1941
1/1 8
Forest containing some spruce trees near Indian Pass Trail crossing the Calawah Valley
May 1941
1/1 9
Sitka spruce stand one mile above Flat Bottom Shelter on the South Fork Hoh River
"Heavy stand of Sitka spruce. Note the absence of underbrush. This stand is much higher than average commercial quality."
April 1941
1/1 10
Spruce trees near the junction of the Hoh River and the South Fork Hoh River
April 1941
½ 11
Spruce and maple trees on the Queets River four and a half miles outside the Olympic National Park boundary
April 1941
½ 12
Spruce trees on the Queets River Trail one mile inside the Olympic National Park boundary
"Trail has been widened so that a wagon can be taken over it in favorable weather."
April 1941
½ 13
Spruce trees three miles up the Queets River Trail inside the Olympic National Park boundary
"Huge spruce trees."
April 1941
½ 14
Spruce stand on the Hoh River two and a half miles below the Hoh Ranger Station
"Typical spruce stand. Note the poor pruning which is characteristic of spruce."
March 1941
½ 15
Forest on the Hoh River near the Hoh Ranger Station
"Tree with abnormal top is a Douglas fir."
March 1941
½ 16
Spruce forest on the Hoh River two miles below the Hoh Ranger Station
"These trees are of average quality."
March 1941
½ 17
Spruce stand near the sixteen mile post on the Hoh River Road
"These four trees evidently took root on an old log."
March 1941
½ 18
Spruce forest near the Queets River four and a half miles inside the Olympic National Park boundary
"Old spruce forest on a bench above the Queets River."
April 1941
½ 19
Moss draped maple trees on the Queets River Trail three and a half miles below Harlow Creek
April 1941
½ 20-21
Spruce forest on the South Fork Hoh River one mile above Flat Bottom Shelter
"Note the young spruce on the bench in the foreground."
April 1941
1/3 22
Mixed forest on the Hoh River Trail one and a half miles above the Hoh Ranger Station
"Young spruce, cottonwood, and occasional hemlock."
March 1941
1/3 23
Fallen spruce tree on the Hoh River two miles below the Hoh Ranger Station
"A huge spruce tree felled by the wind. The tree was split in falling and revealed extensive rot."
March 1941
1/3 24
Maple and spruce trees on the Hoh River half a mile above the Hoh Ranger Station
March 1941
1/3 25
Spruce trees one mile above Flat Bottom Shelter on the South Fork Hoh River
"The tree at the right appears to be of very good quality."
April 1941
1/3 26
Sitka spruce stand on Washington State land three miles up the South Fork Hoh River Trail
"It is felt that timber on state land should be logged before consideration is given to logging on park lands."
April 1941
1/3 27
Spruce forest on the Hoh River Road one mile inside the Olympic National Park boundary
"The limby condition of the trees makes them of little commercial value."
March 1941
1/3 28
Elevated spruce tree roots
"Elevated spruce roots after parent log has rotted away."
March 1941
1/3 29
Spruce and vine maple trees on the South Fork Hoh River one and a half miles above Flat Bottom Shelter
April 1941
1/3 30
Spruce trees on the South Fork Hoh River three quarters of a mile above Flat Bottom Shelter
"Young and vigorously growing spruce trees. Branches actually reach the ground on the tree to the right."
April 1941
1/4 31
Spruce forest on the Bogachiel River just outside the Olympic National Park boundary
"Note the heavy growth of sword ferns."
May 1941
1/4 32
Spruce grove near the Bogachiel Guard Station
May 1941
1/4 33
Spruce and hemlock trees near Bogachiel Guard Station
"Decadent stand of spruce with hemlock and spruce coming in."
May 1941
1/4 34
Forest near Smoke House Bottom on the Queets River
April 1941
1/4 35
Hardwood flat on the Queets River three quarters of a mile inside the Olympic National Park boundary
April 1941
1/4 36
View of the Queets River Valley near the junction of the Queets River and the Sams River
"Looking up the Queets River Valley. Sams River joins the Queets just around the bend of the River to the right. Park boundary crosses flat in the foreground."
April 1941
1/4 37
Junction of the Hoh River and the South Fork Hoh River
"Hoh River inside Park boundary. South Fork Valley at the right and the two rivers join in the center of the picture. Note that river has washed out the road at the left. Note abundance of alder and cottonwood. Forest beyond that is the spruce type."
March 1941
1/4 38
Spruce forest on the Bogachiel River half a mile up from the Olympic National Park boundary
"This is on private land - part of the nine sections excluded from the Park."
May 1941
1/4 39
Spruce forest on the Bogachiel River two miles up from the Olympic National Park boundary
"Note the two elk crossing the river."
May 1941
1/4 40
Logging on Soleduck Road
March 10, 1941
1/4 41
  Spruce stump on Hoh River five or six miles from U.S. 101
"Huge spruce stump, 9 feet in diameter at the cut. 280 annual rings at the cut. Hoh River above T.R.H. Schmitt Ranch."
March 1941
1/4 42
Area of blown down trees on the Hoh River Road inside the Olympic National Park boundary
"Mostly Douglas fir, hemlock, and spruce are also present."
March 1941

Lookouts and Historic Structures in and around Olympic National Park, 1948-1956Return to Top

Carsten Lien  ( photographer)

The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
1/5 43-44
Jo and Jasper Bunch, Quinault Pioneers
"The Bunch family homesteaded in the Lake Quinault region in the 1890s and left names such as Bunch Lake, Bunch Creek. Their ranch ended up inside the boundaries of Olympic National Park after the additions of 1940. It has since been acquired by the Park Service for addition to the Park."
1948
1/5 45
Pyramid Peak Lookout near Lake Crescent
"WWII air raid warning lookout, Lake Crescent. No other photograph of this now long gone building is known to exist."
1954
1/5 46
Lookout on Geodetic Hill
"WWII air raid warning lookout on top of Geodetic Hill, on the divide the Bogachiel and the Hoh. No other photograph of this now long gone building is know to exist."
1954
1/5 47
Mt. Walker Lookout near Hood Canal
1954
1/5 48
Bogachiel Peak Lookout
"Vandalism on Bogachiel Peak. No longer exists."
1956
1/5 49
Deer Park Lookout
"No longer exists."
1948
1/5 50
North Point Lookout near Soleduck Valley
"No longer exists."
1954
1/5 51
Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley
"No longer exists."
1954
1/5 52
View from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley
1954
1/5 53
View toward Mt. Olympus from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley
1954
1/5 54
View from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley
1954
1/5 55
View toward Mt. Olympus from Kloshe Nanich Lookout near Soleduck Valley
1954
1/5 56-57
Fall Shelter on Greywolf Trail
1956
1/5 58
Three Prune Shelter in the Quinault Valley
"No longer exists."
1956
1/5 59
Camp Riley Shelter near the headwaters of the South Fork Skokomish River
"No longer exists."
1948
1/5 60
Storm King Inn on Lake Crescent after its conversion to a Visitor's Center
"No longer exists."
1955
1/5 61
Rosemary Inn on Lake Crescent
"Has been greatly modified as it was later converted into an educational center. Historic appearance is a rarity."
1955
1/5 62
Lake Crescent Lodge
"This is its historic appearance before it was modified by the addition of more rooms."
1954
1/5 63-64
Lake Crescent Ranger Station
"No longer exists."
1954
1/5 65
Enchanted Valley Chalet in the East Fork Quinault Valley
1954
1/5 66
Deer Park Ski Lodge
"No longer exists."
1948
1/5 67
Port Angeles Ski Club at Deer Park Ski Lodge
"No longer exists."
1948
1/5 68
"Sweet's Place" near Olympic National Park boundary in the Elwha Valley
"Inholding at ONP boundary in Elwha Valley, since acquired by the Park Service. Buildings [sic] no longer exists."
1956
1/5 69
Dosewallips Ranger Station
"No longer exists"
1954
1/5 70
Ludden Homestead in Elwha Valley
"Some remnants exist. He [Ludden] was a pioneer settler."
1949
1/5 71
Olympic Hotsprings in Elwha Valley
"No longer exists."
1948
1/5 72
Andrews' Ranch in the Queets Valley
"He [Andrews] was an early settler on the Queets River."
1948
1/5 73
Klootchman Rock as viewed from Andrews' Ranch
1948
1/5 74-76
Humes' Ranch in the Elwha Valley
"Grant Humes was a pioneer settler in the Elwha Valley. Humes Glacier on Mt. Olympus carries his name."
1949
1/5 77
Elkhorn Ranger Station in the Elwha Valley
1949
1/5 78
Elkhorn Ranger Station in the Elwha Valley
March 1949
1/5 79
Olympus Guard Station in the Hoh River Valley
February 1952
1/5 80
Staircase Ranger Station in the Skokomish Valley
"Now gone, this building dates from the earliest days of government involvement in peninsula resources."
1948
1/5 81
North Fork Ranger Station in the North Fork Quinault Valley
1955
1/5 82
LaPoel Ranger Station near Lake Crescent
"Now gone."
1948
1/5 83
Hoh Ranger Station in the Hoh River Valley
"This extensive ranger station was originally built by the US Forest Service and named Jackson Ranger Station after the adjacent creek of that name. When the National Park Service inherited it, it was renamed after the river. Now gone and totally replaced with an extensive Park Service facility and campground."
1949
1/5 84-85
Kilea Ranger Station in the Queets Valley
"Originally built by the Forest Service. Now gone and replaced with a Park Service facility located at a different site. Kilea Creek was where the name came from."
1948
1/5 86
Graves Creek Ranger Station in the East Fork Quinault Valley
1948
1/5 87
Map: Forest Resources of the Pacific Coast Counties of Washington
undated
1/5 88
Map: Olympic National Forest Timber Stand Density
undated
1/5 89
Map: U.S. Forest Service Olympic Timber Working Circles and Blocks
undated
1/5 90
Map: Winter Elk Range from Report on Mt. Olympus Elk by Ben H. Thompson
undated

Bogachiel Guard StationReturn to Top

Carsten Lien  ( photographer)

The quotation accompanying these photographs is taken directly from Carsten Lien's notation about the images.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
1/6 91
Bogachiel Guard Station
"On the Bogachiel Trail at the intersection of the trail to the Calawha Valley. No longer in existence, this building was washed away by the wintertime flooding of the Bogachiel River."
1982

Logging in Olympic National Park Return to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
SLOP Committee Photographs of Logging in Olympic National Park
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from originals taken by the SLOP (Salvage Logging Olympic Park) Committee. The committee included the following groups: The Mountaineers, Sierra Club, Seattle Audubon Society, Olympic Park Associates, and the Federation of Western Outdoor Clubs. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
Box/Folder item
1/7 92
Logging near La Poel Campground on Lake Crescent, September 15, 1956
"Nine foot diameter stump of a Douglas Fir felled near La Poel Campground on Lake Crescent. A 180 foot section was removed between the stump and the crown. Pat Goldworthy of Sierra Club in picture."
undated
1/7 93
Logging on the Bogachiel River near Mosquito Creek, September 16, 1956
"Backcountry logging on the Bogachiel showing loading of green Douglas Fir logs cut in forest adjacent to river opposite Mosquito Creek."
undated
1/7 94
Logging on the Bogachiel River near Mosquito Creek, September 16, 1956
"Note size of green Douglas Fir logs cut from the forest adjacent to log jam specified in the contract."
undated
1/7 95
Log loading area near the junction of the North and East Fork Quinault Rivers, September 16, 1956
undated
Logged Areas in Olympic National Park
Box/Folder item
1/7 96-99
Area on the Hoh River near the Hoh Ranger Station logged three or four years earlier
Carsten Lien (photographer)
1955
1/7 100-101
Logged area on the north shore of Lake Crescent
Paul Shepard (photographer)
Summer 1956
1/7 102
Logged area on Storm King Mountain as viewed from Barnes Peninsula
Paul Shepard (photographer)
Summer 1956
1/7 103
Logged area near La Poel Ranger Station
Paul Shepard (photographer)
Summer 1956
1/7 104-105
Logged area on the North Shore of Lake Crescent
Paul Shepard (photographer)
Summer 1956
National Park Service Defends Logging in Olympic National Park
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from a report written by Fred Overly (Olympic National Park Superintendent, 1952-1958) originally published in May 1957. Overly drafted his comments in response to an article about the ONP logging that appeared in the Winter 1956 edition of Living Wilderness.
Box/Folder item
1/8 106
Chief Forester Lawrence F. Cook surveys logging near the La Poel Ranger Station
undated
1/8 107
Signs of ecological recovery from logging operations near rivers
undated
1/8 108-109
Signs of ecological recovery on logging cat roads
undated
1/8 110-114
Cut log drying out and becoming resistant to beetle infestation
undated
1/8 115-116
Trees cut to protect against undermining from the Bogachiel River
undated
1/9 117
Signs of ecological recovery from road construction on the Bogachiel River
undated
1/9 118
Log jam on the Bogachiel River, June 28, 1956
undated
1/9 119
Bogachiel River after logging removed the log jam shown in Item 118
undated
1/9 120-121
Douglas Fir tree with rotten core and top logged to reduce risk of fire
undated
1/9 122
Spruce tree with rotten top
undated
Salvage Logging Operations
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from documents in National Archives Record Group 79.
Box/Folder item
1/10 123
Logging near the Hoh River Valley, 1956
undated
1/10 124
Car belonging to Pat Goldworthy of the Sierra Club and SLOP Committee stalled crossing the Bogachiel River, 1956
undated
1/10 125-126
Logging near the La Poel Ranger Station, 1956
undated
1/10 127
Logging near the Hoh River Valley, 1956
undated
1/10 128
Log booms on Lake Mills in the Elwha River Valley, 1956
undated
1/10 129-132
Trees in log jam, 1956
undated
1/11 133
Large Douglas Fir tree, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/11 134
Logging bridge across the South Fork Hoh River, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/11 135
Logging on the Hoh River, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/11 136-137
Logging near Lake Crescent, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/11 138-140
Logging on Soleduck Road, 1956
undated
1/12 141
Logging near Barnes Creek near Lake Crescent, 1956
undated
1/12 142
Logging near Olympic Hot Springs and Campground, 1956
undated
1/12 143
Logging near Olympic Hot Springs, 1956
undated
1/12 144
Log landing on the Lower Hoh River, 1956
undated
1/12 145
Logging near the Lower Hoh River, 1956
undated
1/12 146-147
Logging on Soleduck Road, 1956
undated
1/12 148
Log boom on Lake Mills in the Elwha River Valley, 1956
undated
1/12 149
8'7" Douglas Fir tree, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/12 150
Logging bridge across the Quinault River, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/13 151
Logging on the Quinault River, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/13 152
Large Douglas Fir tree, 1955 or 1956
undated
1/13 153
Logging near the Lower Hoh River, 1956
undated
1/13 154-155
Logging near Olympic Hot Springs and Campground, 1956
undated
1/13 156-157
Logging near road to Olympic Hot Springs, 1956
undated
1/13 158-160
Logging on Soleduck Road, 1956
undated

Prominent individuals in the history of Olympic National ParkReturn to Top

Carsten Lien  ( photographer)

Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from original negatives and secondary sources containing images of prominent individuals in the history of Olympic National Park. Items 174-177 are original negatives taken by Carsten Lien. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
1/14 161
Dedication of Olympic National Park, 1946
undated
1/14 162
Harold Ickes, Secretary of the Interior (1933-1946)
undated
1/14 163
Newton B. Drury, NPS Director (1940-1951)
undated
1/14 164
Harold Ickes at the end of the Hoh River Road, 1938
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by O.A. Tomlinson.
undated
1/14 165
William B. Greeley, Chief Forester (1920-1928)
undated
1/14 166
Conrad Wirth, NPS Director (1951-1964)
undated
1/14 167
Rosalie Edge, Peter Edge, Preston Macy, Mrs. Preston Macy, and others on Hurricane Hill, Summer 1935.
undated
1/14 168
FDR visit to Port Angeles, Washington on September 30, 1934.
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by Bert Kellogg.
undated
1/15 169
Preston P. Macy, Olympic National Park Superintendent (1968-1951)
undated
1/15 170
Newton B. Drury taking the Oath of Office as NPS Director
undated
1/15 171
Associate Justice William O. Douglas views protestors near Ocean Strip inside Olympic National Park, July 1959
"William O. Douglas looks on at completion of hike down the beach of ONP Ocean Strip to protest Park Service's planned road down the length of the strip. Larry Venable of Port Angeles Chamber of Commerce confronts Justice Douglas with signs expressing the Chamber’s viewpoint."Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by Ira Spring; Copyright Bob and Ira Spring.
undated
1/15 172
Fred Overly, Superintendent of Olympic National Park (1952-1958)
undated
1/15 173
William B. Greeley, Chief Forester (1920-1928)
undated
1/15 174-177
Levin Coe, Quinault, carving canoes three miles south of Queets Village
1955

Political cartoons related to Olympic National Park Return to Top

Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from regional and national publications and other secondary sources containing political cartoons related to extraction of natural resources from federally-owned property.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
1/16 178
"Yosemite Leads," Oakland Tribune, November 2, 1929
undated
1/16 179
"The Monster that Controls this Property," The Washington Post, 1953
undated
1/16 180
"Resources Give Away," St. Paul Pioneer Press, 1909
undated
1/16 181
"Red Riding Hood and Escort Meet the Wolves," The Denver Post, December 8, 1952
undated
1/16 182
"Rapee Designate," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, December 30, 1980
undated
1/16 183
Cartoon discussing declining animal population in Mt. Rainier National Park, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, March 23, 1987
undated
1/16 184
Cartoon discussing oil industry development along coast in Olympic National Park, The Seattle Times, May 29, 1987
undated
1/16 185
"Rip Up Wilderness," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 21, 1987
undated
1/16 186
Cartoon regarding deforestation appearing on American Tree Association letterhead, 1927
undated
1/16 187
Cartoon regarding deforestation appearing in The New Yorker, ca. 1937
undated
1/16 188
Cartoon regarding logging in Olympic National Park, New York Herald Tribune, November 1, 1947
undated

Maps, newspaper articles, and advertisements related to Olympic National Park.Return to Top

Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from documents and secondary sources containing information about the history of Olympic National Park.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
1/17 189
Map of "The Olympic Country" printed in National Geographic Magazine, April 1986
undated
1/17 190
Map of Olympic National Park by James Wickersham, 1890
undated
1/17 191
Emergency Conservation Committee Broadside on HR 10024, 1938
undated
1/17 192
Emergency Conservation Publication #63 - "Double Crossing Mount Olympus National Park," 1937
undated
1/17 193
Emergency Conservation Committee publication regarding proposed Olympic National Park boundaries, 1934
undated
1/17 194
Front page of Port Angeles Evening News on October 1, 1937 regarding FDR visit to the Olympic Peninsula
undated
1/17 195
Chamber of Commerce advertisement in the Port Angeles Evening News, June 30, 1943
undated
1/17 196-197
Rayonier advertisement regarding development in Olympic National Park, December, 1954
undated
1/18 198
Map of Olympic National Park, 1947
undated
1/18 199-200
Map of the Olympic Mountains by W.G. Steel, 1890
undated
1/18 201
Page from The Daily Olympian discussing Olympic National Park boundaries, July 20, 1943
undated
1/18 202
Olympic Peninsula Transition Zone Forest Map, ca. 1954
undated
1947 National Park Service Boundary Reduction Proposal
Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from a report published by the National Park Service in 1947 proposing boundary reductions in Olympic National Park. The photographs show aerial views of Olympic National Park, and the images also contain annotations that identify geographic landmarks and proposed NPS boundary changes. Photographer Lowell Sumner took the original photographs used in the NPS report. The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.
Box/Folder item
1/18 203
Aerial view looking South, March 1947
"Proposed boundary would follow ridge crest between Bogachiel and Calawah Rivers, eliminating the Calawah Valley from the Park."
undated
1/18 204
Aerial view looking North, March 1947
"View looking north across Bogachiel River showing areas National Park Service proposes to relinquish."
undated
1/18 205
Aerial view looking West, March 1947
"Proposed new ridge boundary at divide between head of Sams Rivers and Finley Creek."
undated

1889-1890 Expeditions to the Olympic PeninsulaReturn to Top

Carsten Lien made these copy negatives primarily from an issue of The Seattle Press originally published on July 16, 1890. This issue of The Seattle Press provides a detailed narrative of the "Press Expedition" - a small group of explorers sent into the Olympic Mountains by the newspaper to research and document the topography, flora, and fauna of the area. The Press Expedition left Seattle, WA on December 8, 1889 and headed for Port Angeles, WA, where they completed final preparations for a wintertime exploration of the Olympic Mountains. On January 13, 1890, the party began its ascent up the Elwha River into the Mountains, and they reached Aberdeen, WA on May 21, 1890. The party returned to Seattle, WA on May 23, 1890 to hearty congratulations for their in-depth exploration of the Olympic Mountains and surrounding areas.

The July 16, 1890 issue of The Seattle Press also includes a narrative of the Conrad-Olmstead Exploration, a party that visited the Olympic Mountains from June 16-July 8, 1890.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
1/19 206
Return of the Press Expedition members, 1890
undated
1/19 207-219
Pages 1-14 of the Press Expedition Report printed in The Seattle Press, July 16, 1890
undated

Mount Rainier National ParkReturn to Top

Carsten Lien made these copy negatives from original negatives related to development in Mt. Rainier National Park.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
½0 220
Road Development Plan for Paradise Valley, October 1927
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by O.A. Tomlinson.
undated
½0 221-223
Bungalow Tents at Paradise Inn, 1917
Lien made these copy negatives from original photographs taken by Asahel Curtis.
undated
½0 224
Automobiles parked on meadow at Paradise Valley, 1917
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by Asahel Curtis.
undated
½0 225
Sunrise Lodge, August 24, 1932
Lien made this copy negative from an original photograph taken by Asahel Curtis.
undated

Emergency Conservation Committee membersReturn to Top

Carsten Lien  ( photographer)

The quotations accompanying individual photographs are taken directly from Carsten Lien's notations about the images.

Container(s) Description Dates
Box/Folder item
½1 226
Rosalie Edge, Emergency Conservation Committee Chair
July 1959
½1 227
Willard G. Van Name, Emergency Conservation Committee Founder
"He was the leading American environmentalist in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s."
undated
½1 228
Irving Brant, Emergency Conservation Committee Member
"Journalist and FDR confidant on environmental issues. One of the three participating members of the ECC."
undated

Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

  • Subject Terms :
  • Logging--Washington (State)--Olympic National Forest--Photographs
  • National parks and reserves--Washington (State)--Olympic National Park--Photographs
  • Corporate Names :
  • Emergency Conservation Committee (U.S.)--Officials and employees--Photographs
  • United States. National Park Service--Officials and employees--Photographs
  • Geographical Names :
  • Olympic National Forest (Wash.)--History--Research
  • Olympic National Park (Wash.)--History--Research
  • Olympic National Park (Wash.)--Photographs
  • Other Creators :
    • Personal Names :
    • Curtis, Asahel, 1874-1941 (photographer)