Minnie Kilgren photograph collection, between 1922 and 1947? PDF
- Kilgren, Minnie, 1884-1975
- Minnie Kilgren photograph collection
- between 1922 and
- 9 black and white photographs (1 folder) ; 8 x 10 in.
- Collection Number
- Photographs of Minnie Kilgren and children participating in Danish camp and church activities
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Entire collection can be viewed on the Libraries' Digital Collections website. Permission of Visual Materials curator required to view originals. Contact Special Collections for more information.
- Additional Reference Guides
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Minnie Kilgren came to Tacoma, Washington from Denmark in 1909. A year later she returned to Denmark for a family visit and on her trip back to the United States sailed on the famous ship, the Lusitania . Upon her return, Minnie began operating a summer school for Danish children and taught regular school to Danish children in Seattle. About a year later, she married a carpenter named Gustaf and moved to Vancouver, British Columbia in 1911. They returned to Seattle in 1919. She became very active in the Danish community through St. John's Danish Church and the Danish Summer School.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of images of Minnie Kilgren and children involved in various activities and organizations, including Danish folk dancing, a Danish church choir, a Danish-American summer school, and the St. John's Danish Lutheran Church.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Restrictions may exist on reproduction, quotation, or publication. Contact Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries for details.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1||Interior of St. John's Danish Lutheran Church looking down main aisle toward high altar||between 1920 and 1930?|
Choir of St.
John's Danish Lutheran Church
On verso: Director: Mrs. Minnie Kilgren. Back Row: (left to right) Ed Hansen, Jakob Neilsen, Pastor Alfred E. Sorensen, Christ Hansen, William Vestman. Front Row: (left to right) Ida Hansen, Laura Madsen (married Christiansen, later Foss), Greta (Madsen) Knudsen, Stine Andersen
class on the steps of St. John's Danish Lutheran Church
Identified on verso: Top Left: Pastor Alfred E. Sorensen. Back Row: (left to right) 2nd Sparling, 4th Eater Kjaer, 5th Agnes (Kilgren) Back, 6th Anne (Kilgren) Bice, 7th Mary (Madsen) Rasmussen. Middle Row: 3rd from left Roy Eskesen. Front Row (left to right) John Sorensen (pastor's son), 2nd Dorris Frederiksen (foster child of pastor).
|between 1930 and 1931?|
school class including Valborg Kilgren, Doris Frederiksen, Minnie Kilgren,
Herdes Kilgren, Erling Sorensen, Hans Sorensen.
On verso: Sommerskole, Danish Summer School for three weeks at the parsonage and one week at Lutherland
summer school class in the parsonage by St. John's Danish Lutheran
Identified on verso: In middle group of teachers, left: Ellen Anderson, right: Mrs. Minnie Kilgren. Back row: 2nd from right: Herdes Kilgren. Front Row: 2nd from right Paul Christiansen, 3rd from right: Elsie Andersen, 4th: Norma Christiansen, 6th: Else Virkelust. Immediately left of slate: Karl Andersen. Sitting left: Earl Jensen. Back Row: Standing 4th from left Elva Jensen.
front of the altar at St. John's Danish Lutheran Church, Seattle
Identified on verso: Victor Nielsen, Ester Nielsen, Gertrude Lauridsen, Doris Hansen, Jean Christensen, Elisabeth Nielsen, Sigrid Nielsen, Erik Petersen, Chris Hansen, Gordon Pedersen, Elva Jensen, Grete Petersen, Vivian Larsen, Pastor Alfred E. Sorensen, Mary Nielsen, Elna Hansen, Gladas Hansen.
Girls in Danish
folk dancing costume with Mrs. Minnie Kilgren
Identified on verso: Doris Frederiksen, Gloria Mortensen, Valborg Hansen, Shirly Madsen, Else Virkelyst, Edith Christensen, Else Korsgaard, Hetty Christensen, Lilly Virkelyst.
|1||8||Group watching activity at Lutherland camp portion of Danish summer school including Minnie Kilgren, Erling Sorensen, Marie Sorensen, Gertrude Sorensen.||between 1941 and 1942?|
Pastor Alfred E.
Sorenson family group
Identified on verso: Erling Sorensen, John Sorensen, Hans Sorensen, Doris Frederiksen, Gertrude Sorensen, Paul Sorensen, Marie Sorensen, Alfred Sorensen.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Choirs (Music)--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Danish American women--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Danish Americans--Social life and customs
- Ethnic costume--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Lutheran church buildings--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Scandinavian Americans--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- School children--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Sunday school teachers--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Sunday schools--Washington (State)--Seattle--Photographs
- Personal Names :
- Kilgren, Minnie, 1884-1975--Photographs
- Geographical Names :
- Central District (Seattle, Wash.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Photographs
- Seattle (Wash.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Photographs
- Seattle (Wash.)--Social life and customs
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Group portraits