Hila Colman papers, 1963-1973 PDF
- Hila Colman papers
- 1963-1973 (inclusive)19631973
- 2.5 linear feet, (3 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 750
- Hila Colman writes books for children and adolescents--specializing in realistic portrayals of adolescent characters. The collection includes correspondences, manuscripts, and galleys.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Hila Colman was born in New York City, into a moderately wealthy Jewish family. Though she was raised in an upper class home, she was taught early on that she must support herself through her own means. She attended Radcliffe College up until the death of her mother. She specializes in books for adolescents, and is known for her ability to portray realistic situations and characters.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains a wide variety of notes and corrections for manuscripts. The process of corrections--written comments and adjustments to the original manuscript--is a highlight of the collection. Also included with the literary manuscript is correspondence that pertains to the manuscript itself.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Hila Colman Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Children's literature, American--Authorship
- Teenagers in literature.
- Women authors, American--20th century
- Young adult literature, American--Authorship
- Personal Names :
- Colman, Hila
- Colman, Hila
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Manuscripts for publication