Robert Garfias lecture recordings: U Khin Zaw, Undated PDF
- Garfias, Robert
- Robert Garfias lecture recordings: U Khin Zaw
- 12 items : OT- 6 reels (7 1/2 ips, full-track, 7"); WD - 6 CDs (digital, stereo); Duration: 3:00:00
- Collection Number
- Lectures by U Khin Zaw, director of the Burma Broadcasting Service, utilizing taped examples of music, recorded by Robert Garfias, likely at the University of Michigan in 1973.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded with Nagra III.
Lectures by U Khin Zaw, director of the Burma Broadcasting Service, utilizing taped examples of music.
Contents summary: Tape 1 - Yodaya, series of songs (only titles are announced); Tape 2 - Patt Pyou (Chinese classical songs), with explanation in English; Tape 3 - 2 genres of classical music: Kyou and Bwe, with explanation in English; Tape 4 - Introduction to lecture series (in English), explanation of scales, Nat (ritual) music; Tape 5 - Mahori, Yodaya song preserved in Thai language from Ramayana, 2 Talaing songs; Tape 6 - Folk music: Byo, Ozi, Baingi songs.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Classical Music--Burma
- Classical Music--China
- Folk music--China
- Folk music--Thailand
- Songs, Burmese--Burma
- Geographical Names :
- Burma--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asia--Asia--Southeast Asia
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Khin Zaw, U, 1905- (performer)