John Daniel Stevens letters, circa 1895-1930 PDF
- Stevens, John Daniel, 1847-1932.
- John Daniel Stevens letters
- .04 cubic feet (1
15 feet : : positive.
- Collection Number
- Mss 1187
- Collection includes materials collected by John Daniel Stevens. John Daniel Stevens (1847-1932) was a civic and political leader, socialist organizer and lecturer in Portland, Oregon.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Conversion of this record was made possible by a grant from the National Historic Publications and Records Commission, an agency of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
John Daniel Stevens (1847-1932) was a civic and political leader, socialist organizer and lecturer in Portland, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection includes: Manuscript and typescript correspondence, circa 1895-1930, with: Order of the Knights of Labor; Addison Bennett; Jonathan Bourne, Jr.; George C. Brownell; George E. Chamberlain; Abigail Scott Duniway; Jack London; Charles L. McNary; Edwin V. O'Hara; Stephen S. Wise; C. E. S. Wood; James Withycombe; Jacob Calvin Cooper; Clarence Darrow; and others concerned with progressive and socialist movements; Topics discussed in these letters include: Politics, Women's suffrage, Shakespeare clubs; etc.; Printed ephemera; Photocopy newspaper clipping with Stevens' obituary, from the Sellwood Bee, Friday, June 17, 1932.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Many of the letters in the collection are also available on microfilm.
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library prior to any use of reproductions. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use of reproductions may required seeking additional authorization from the copyright holders.
John Daniel Stevens Letters, Mss 1187, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Politics and government -- Oregon.
- Progressivism (United States politics) -- Oregon.
- Socialists -- Oregon.
- Suffragists -- Oregon.
- Women -- Suffrage -- Oregon.
- Corporate Names :
- Knights of Labor -- Records and correspondence.
- Family Names :
- Bennett, Addison, -- 1845-1924 -- Correspondence.
- Bourne, Jonathan -- 1855-1940. -- Correspondence.
- Brownell, George C., -- b. 1858 -- Correspondence.
- Chamberlain, George E. -- (George Earle), -- 1854-1928 -- Correspondence.
- Cooper, J. C. -- (Jacob Calvin), -- 1845-1937 -- Correspondence.
- Darrow, Clarence, -- 1857-1938 -- Correspondence.
- Duniway, Abigail Scott, -- 1834-1915 -- Correspondence.
- London, Jack, -- 1876-1916 -- Correspondence.
- McNary, Charles Linza, -- 1874-1944 -- Correspondence.
- O'Hara, Edwin V. -- (Edwin Vincent), -- 1881-1956 -- Correspondence.
- Stevens, John Daniel -- 1847-1932 -- Correspondence.
- Wise, Stephen Samuel, -- 1874-1949 -- Correspondence.
- Withycombe, James, -- 1854-1919 -- Correspondence.
- Wood, Charles Erskine Scott, -- 1852-1944 -- Correspondence.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Clippings (information artifacts) -- aat
- Letters (correspondence) -- aat
- Pinted ephemera. -- aat