U.S.S. Salt Lake City photograph collection, 1929 PDF
- U.S.S. Salt Lake City photograph collection
- 1929 (inclusive)19291929
- 8 photographs : 8 B&W prints
- Collection Number
- U.S.S. Salt Lake City photograph collection contains photographs of the launching of the U.S.S. Salt Lake City on January 23, 1929 and associated activities. The collection also includes a photograph of Reed Smoot with other attending dignitaries.
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The U.S.S. Salt Lake City (CA-25) was commissioned into the U.S. Navy on December 11, 1929, at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. After serving with great distinction in the Pacific theater during World War II, she was sunk as a target ship on May 25, 1948, off the California coast.
This collection of photos was taken at the launching of the Salt Lake City on January 23, 1929. It consists of eight photographs bound in a scrapbook.
It is believed that the collection was donated by one of Reed Smoot's daughters but the donor has not been definitely identified. Sen. Smoot was an influential member of the Senate at the time and was present at the launching.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Launching of U.S.S. Salt Lake
Photograph number 1: U.S.S. Salt Lake City after launch from New York Shipbuilding Company, Camden, New YorkPhotograph number 2: U.S.S. Salt Lake City before launchingPhotograph number 3: U.S.S. Salt Lake City on launchingPhotograph number 4: Group photo of attending dignitaries including Sen. Reed Smoot, Utah; Miss Helen Budge, sponsor, and Miss Gaylie Rich, maid of honorPhotograph number 5: Miss Helen Budge and Miss Gaylie RichPhotograph number 6: Group of women including Miss Budge and Miss RichPhotograph number 7: Banquet hall for launching banquetPhotograph number 8: Editorial cartoon courtesy of Evening Bulletin
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Names :
- Smoot, Reed, 1862-1941--Photographs
- Corporate Names :
- Salt Lake City (Ship)--Photographs
- United States--Navy--History--Photographs
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic albums--1929
- Photographic prints--1929