School of Music and Dance records, 1886-2008 PDF
- University of Oregon. Conservatory of MusicUniversity of Oregon. School of Music and DanceUniversity of Oregon. School of MusicUniversity of Oregon. Department of Dance
- School of Music and Dance records
- 1886-2008 (inclusive)18862008
- 39.5 linear feet, (30 containers)
9 unprocessed linear feet, (6 record storage boxes)
- Collection Number
- UA 044
- The University of Oregon's Music department was founded in 1886, was reorganized as the School of Music in 1900, and merged with the Department of Dance in 1991, and in 2005 was formally designated as the School of Music and Dance. The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of the old School of Music, Department of Dance, and the new School of Music and Dance.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNAVAILABLE DEPARTMENTAL RECORDS: Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Oregon's Music department was founded in 1886, and was designated as the School of Music in 1900. In 1991, the Department of Dance faculty merged with the school, and in 2005, the school changed its name to the School of Music and Dance.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of the old School of Music, Department of Dance, and the new School of Music and Dance.
Material is organized by accession and includes the following material: (lists are not comprehensive)
Accession 01.2008.A: School of Music and School of Music and Dance: Records of guest performers including programs, 1975-2006.
Accession 10.097.A: Presentations and Vietnam War protest recordings, faculty artist series, reading series info and programs, 1949-2006.
Accession 11384.A: subject files that include a report on characteristics of graduates and drop-outs, UO marching band, International Music Education Advisory committee, and music school building information, 1969-1975.
Accession 12.152.A: School of Music and Dance programs from the 110th Concert season and a 2010 commencement program.
Accession 12.178.A: envelope containing list of former deans, visiting artists, school enrollment, conductors and a photo of Toyko String Quartet, 1886-1996.
Accession 12.273.A: School of Music recital on cassette tape of Jeannine A. Cansler, November 8, 1981.
Accession 1996.153.A: School of Music: Records relating to Music School building remodel, including planning documents, blueprints, and correspondence, 1975-1977.
Accession 1996.278.A: School of Music: vinyl Albums of performances, 1953-1960.
Accession 1996.437.A: School of Music: sheet Music, undated.
Accession 1996.750.A: Department of Dance: space utilization reports, 1983-1989.
Accession 2005.105.A: School of Music: Recital programs, 1968-1975.
Accession 15.139.A: Vinyl album, 1946.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], School of Music and Dance records, UA 044, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Eugene
- Colleges and Universities—University of Oregon
- Dance--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Music--Instruction and study--Oregon--Eugene
- Performing arts--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Corporate Names :
- University of Oregon. Conservatory of Music--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon. Department of Dance--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon. School of Music and Dance--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon. School of Music--Records and correspondence
- University of Oregon--Faculty
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Administrative records
- Compact discs.
- Office files
- Phonograph records
- Sheet music