Nelson Story, Sr., Letter, 1911 February 14 PDF
- Story, Nelson, 1838-1926
- Nelson Story, Sr., Letter
- 1911 February 141911021419110214
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Collection 1412, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Nelson Story, Sr., Letter was written by him in 1911 in response to a solicitation from a "Miss Willets" for his recollections of John Bozeman. The letter briefly describes Bozeman's physical appearance, demeanor, and the trail he blazed to the Montana gold fields in the early 1860s. There is also a brief description of the Bridger Trail route.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Nelson Story, Sr. (1838-1926) was a pioneer Montana rancher and entrepreneur. Born in Meigs County, Ohio to Ira and Hannah Story, Nelson grew up on the family farm and briefly attended college. He traveled west to Montana during the gold rush of the early 1860s and after achieving success in mining invested in Texas cattle, driving a herd back to Montana from Texas and establishing a ranch in the Yellowstone Valley. He later moved to Bozeman and became one of the town's most wealthy citizens. His many business interests in Bozeman included banking, real estate, and milling during the latter part of the nineteenth century. Story also invested in Los Angeles, California real estate towards the end of his life with his brother Walter. Story was married Ellen Trent and the couple had seven children.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Nelson Story letter was written by him in 1911 in response to a solicitation from a "Miss Willets" for his recollections of John Bozeman. The letter briefly describes Bozeman's physical appearance, demeanor, and the trail he blazed to the Montana gold fields in the early 1860s. There is also a brief description of the Bridger Trail route.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|New: Nelson Story Letter|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life-Montana
- Personal Names :
- Bozeman, John, 1835-1867
- Geographical Names :
- Bozeman Trail
- Form or Genre Terms :