Utah capitol competition : project of Cannon, Fetzer and Ramm Hansen Architects, 1911 PDF
- Utah State Capitol Commission..
- Utah capitol competition : project of Cannon, Fetzer and Ramm Hansen Architects
- 1911 (inclusive)19111911
- 1 box, (.25 linear ft. )
- Collection Number
- Copy prints of original architectural drawings submitted to the Utah State Capitol Commission, which was charged with selecting the architect for the design and construction of the capitol building in Salt Lake City, Utah. The prints are photographic reproductions of drawings that show elevated views as well as floorplans. Prints are mounted in a black photo album.
- Utah State University, Merrill-Cazier Library, Special Collections and Archives Division
Special Collections & Archives
Utah State University
- Access Restrictions
Open to public research.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Historical NoteReturn to Top
In 1888 Salt Lake City donated 20 acres as a site for the Utah State Capital. For various political reasons, however, it was not until 1909 that a seven man Utah Capital Commission was formed for the purpose of selecting a design and contructing a building. Although their initial attempts to raise a one mill levy failed, in 1911 an unexpected windfall of nearly $800,000 in taxes paid by the estate of E.H. Harriman provided enough seed-money to start the process. In 1911 the commission held a competition to select the best design. Ten prospective plans were entered into the contest including this one by Cannon (Georgius Y. Cannon), Fetzer (John Fetzer), and Ramm Hansen. The winning entry came from Richard Karl August Kletting. Construction began in 1912 with James Stewart & Company as the contractor. The building would not be fully completed until 1916. The final cost was $2,739,000.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Utah Capital Competition Drawings consist of 15 copy prints from a proposal that was submitted to the Utah Capitol Commission by the Salt Lake City architectural firm of Cannon, Fetzer, and Ramm Hansen in 1911. The prints are photographic reproductions of drawings that show elevated views as well as floorplans.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
Permission to publish material from the >Utah capitol competition : project of Cannon, Fetzer and Ramm Hansen Architects must be obtained from the Special Collections Photograph Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.
Utah capitol competition : project of Cannon, Fetzer and Ramm Hansen Architects, 1911. (P0107). Utah State University. Special Collections & Archives Department.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||1:01: Perspective of capitol building|
|1||1:02: Front elevation of capitol building|
|1||1:03: West elevation of capitol building|
|1||1:04: North elevation of capitol building|
|1||1:05: Block plan of capitol building and grounds|
|1||1:06: Basement plan of capitol building|
|1||1:07: Ground floor plan of capitol building|
|1||1:08: Principal floor plan of capitol building|
|1||1:09: Second floor plan of capitol building|
|1||1:10: Third floor plan of capitol building|
|1||1:11: Roof plan of capitol building|
|1||1:12: Longitudinal section of capitol building|
|1||1:13: Cross section thru dome of capitol building|
|1||1:14: Section thru Senate chamber of capitol building|
|1||1:15: Section thru Supreme Court and library of capitol building|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Public buildings--Utah--Design and construction--Photographs.
- Personal Names :
- Cannon, Georgius Y., 1892-1987. (contributor)
- Fetzer, John Peter, 1882-1965. (contributor)
- Hansen, Ramm, 1879-1971. (contributor)
- Corporate Names :
- Cannon, Fetzer and Ramm Hansen, Architects. (contributor)
- Utah State University. Libraries. Special Collections and Archives. (contributor)
- Geographical Names :
- Salt Lake City (Utah)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Photographs.
- Utah State Capitol (Salt Lake City, Utah)--Photographs.
- Form or Genre Terms :