Robert Garfias recordings: Japanese Folk Troupe Film Tape, 1976 PDF
- Garfias, Robert
- Robert Garfias recordings: Japanese Folk Troupe Film Tape
- 2 videotapes : OT-1 reel; WT-1 reel (7 1/2 ipsS, 1/2 tr. stereo, 10"); Duration: 00:27:33
- Collection Number
- Japanese Folk Troupe performance recorded at the University of Washington, Meany Studio Theater, 8/27/76.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Garfias was born in San Francisco in 1932, the child of Mexican-American parents. As a youngster he studied classical guitar and jazz saxophone. In high school he studied Western classical music composition, and he formed a jazz combo that played gigs for beatniks in the North Beach area of San Francisco, where he traveled in a circle of musicians that included Dave Brubeck, Vince Delgado, Vince Guaraldi, Harry Partch, and Bill Smith. During his career he founded the ethnomusicology program at the University of Washington; served as Dean of Arts at the University of California, Irvine, as a member of the Smithsonian Council, and as a presidential appointee to the U.S. National Council for the Arts; and conducted significant periods of fieldwork and language study in Japan, Okinawa, Korea, the Philippines, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Central America, Burma, Romania, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, and among Okinawans in the United States.
- Society for Ethnomusicology Newsletter (Vol. 7, No. 4, September 2013)
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Recorded by Robert Garfias, Gary Margason, and Howard Weiss.
1) Ryu-den (Sasaki Kaneshige /drum; Yamada Shinji/flute; Yoshida Shin'ichiro, Sasaki Hideo/cymbals; Sasaki Kazuo, Ito Shitoshi?/dance; Yamamoto Kiyoshi, Fujiwara Teiji/voice)
2) San-ba-so (Nozawa Kichihei/shamisen; Takemoto Ayatayu/voice; Nishikawa Ryuchi/o-tsuzumi; Nishikawa Ryun'yoku/san-no-tsuzumi; Nishikawa Koryu/puppeteer)
3) Hōhai-bushi (Abo Goro/voice; Satomi Takashi/shakuhachi; Sugawara Kimio/shamisen)
4) Tsugaru Yama-uta (Mizuguchi Kachie/voice; Abo Goro/fue)
5) Jongara-bushi (Sugawara Kimio/shamisen)
6) Ringo-bushi (Sugawara Kimio/shamisen; Satomi Takashi/shakuhachi; Abo Goro/voice; Mizuguchi Kachie/voice, taiko; Sato Suma/voice)
Items 3 - 6 are from a district called Tsugaru in Aomori prefect.
Documentation: Handwritten titles in Japanese.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 audiotape : Audio Reel
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Cymbal music
- Drums (Musical instruments)
- Music, Japanese
- Puppets and puppet-plays
- Geographical Names :
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Video recordings
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Meany Hall (Seattle, Wash. : 1974- ) (event place)