Clarence William Anderson papers, 1968 PDF
- Anderson, Clarence William, 1891-
- Clarence William Anderson papers
- 2.0 linear feet, (1 solander case)
- Collection Number
- Ax 444
- Clarence William Anderson (1891 - 1971) specialized in the writing and illustrating of books about horses, most of them for children. The collection (1963-1968) contains lithographs, dummies, pencil sketches, crayon drawings, and prints for three children's books.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Clarence William Anderson (1891 - 1971) was born in Wahoo, Nebraska, and educated at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. He specialized in the writing and illustrating of books about horses, most of them for children.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The donation of November 1968 contains: three original lithographs, a dummy, and rough pencil sketches for Blaze and the Gray Spotted Pony, published by Macmillan in 1968.
The addendum of December 1969 contains:
a dummy and pencil sketches for Blaze and the Indian Cave, published by Macmillan in 1964;
two crayon drawings for Complete Book of Horses and Horsemanship, published by Macmillan in 1963;
and also two lithograph prints of jockey's on horses, and a mare with colts.
The collection also contains two notebooks of sketches; it is not known which donation the notebooks were a part of.
The dates in the collection correspond with the dates of publication; it is not known when the drawings were created.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], Clarence William Anderson papers, Ax 444, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Animals--Juvenile literature
- Children's literature, American--Authorship
- Children's literature, American--Illustrations
- Personal Names :
- Anderson, Clarence William, 1891-
- Form or Genre Terms :